Chapter 6: Lily

"James Sirius Potter."

James stared in disbelief as if this were some practical joke. Some sick joke. First Albus, now James. It was just me left.

I wanted to believe that James and Albus would be okay. But I couldn't. There were others in this "game" as well. And only one can survive. So even if one of them won, the other would have to die.

I probably should've seen it coming, but I guess I assumed everything would always work out in the end.

I didn't care if I'd draw attention to myself anymore. I started to sob. And it wasn't silent crying. I was hysterical. Hermione wrapped her arm around me and whispered into my ear, "Lily, Lily."

I saw Rose wiping at her eyes.

James looked at me sadly. The look on his face said something like, Lily. Don't make this any harder.

"Are there any volunteers?"

No volunteers.

I didn't care how stupid I must've looked. What I cared about was my brother. I ran up to him and threw myself at him. In front of everyone in the Great Hall. It wasn't the smartest thing, but I was very, very, very desperate.

"Don't do it, James," I sobbed.

"You think there's a choice?"

I cried even harder at that because I knew there was no choice.

I heard footsteps running towards us. I thought they were Death Eaters until I recognized Rose's voice, "Lily. There's nothing you can do about it."

"It's official," Voldemort suddenly interjected, "You Potters are truly the most foolish people on the face of the planet. Don't you understand? I am the Dark Lord! I possessed your mother in her first year, I nearly killed your father more than once, I killed your grandparents, and your father surrendered to me."

Voldemort raised his wand, "Maybe you need more teaching."

He pointed his wand towards me and someone yelled, "Expelliarmus!"

Voldemort's wand flew out of his hand. Everyone turned towards the source of the spell. Albus. It just kept getting better. What's Mum doing right now? I knew they were watching the Reaping back at home.

"You dare raise your wand against me, Potter? Surely you know what I am capable of," Voldemort said with fury.

"Yes."

"Have you anything to say for yourself?"

"Not really. I have no regrets."

I sucked in my breath. Albus, shut up now.

"Very well, then," a Voldemort said, "How about now? Crucio."

Albus fell back into his chair and twisted around madly. I saw his face, it looked as if he were trying not to scream. He didn't want to see Voldemort's satisfaction. James rushed towards him. He couldn't hold it in anymore and cried out. Then it stopped.

"That's much better. Girl, return to your seat."

Lastly was Ravenclaw. It would almost be over.

A Ravenclaw goblet spit out a name. And it just occurred to me. What if it was my name? Surely, there was a better chance of picking my name than others.

"Ashley Evanna Page."

There was a sniffle and I saw the girl from earlier, the one who thanked Goyle desperately for volunteering who I assumed was her brother, stand up. Her brother was no longer in the Games, but now she was. How sickening. And there were no volunteers.

The second female Ravenclaw tribute.

"Hermione Augusta Longbottom."

No. No, no, no, no, no. Hermione glanced at me and stood.

"Any volunteers?"

I could volunteer for her. And for a split second, I thought I was going to. But, my parents. It was bad enough with James and Albus. What if they lost all their children? So I remained in my seat. And no one else volunteered.

One last slip of parchment flew from the goblet.

"Lily Luna Potter."