Chapter 8: Albus

"Albus. Albus! Wake up!"

I felt something jab me in the side.

"What?" I groaned in exasperation.

"You're going to be late! Today, of all days!"

I bolted upright in my bed, "What?"

"You need time to get ready, eat breakfast! You don't know what they have planned for today, so you might as well get a head start," my friend, Jack, said urgently, "You've got to start taking this more seriously! People die in this."

"I know people die in this, Jack! But in case you haven't noticed, there's only one victor, and I have to fight against my friends and family."

His eyes grew sad, "I know that, Albus."

"Jack," I thought suddenly, "Have you ever thought of, I don't know, change? Rebelling? For a better social system. Or at least something that outlaws the Hogwarts Games."

"No. I know the world isn't perfect, but we can't fight it. There were two Wizarding Wars against You-Know-Who and both failed and ended in death and destruction. What gives us a better chance, now? Besides, my family is safe this way. We're purebloods, we're Slytherins, and that's all we need. Protection."

I sighed and prepared for breakfast, something I wasn't looking forward to at all.

~

"Ignore them," Jack whispered.

"That's easy for you to say, it's not you they're staring at," I retorted.

"Technically, they are, because I'm walking with you."

I sat down at the Slytherin table next to Jack and tried to ignore the stares. I wasn't very easy.

I had to force the breakfast down. There was no way I knew what was planned for today. There could be physical training.

I seemed like only a few minutes when most of the people in the Great Hall left. As Jack headed towards the doors, he placed a hand in my shoulder and whispered, "Good luck."

The only people left in the Great Hall were the tributes, Death Eaters, Bellatrix, and Voldemort.

Only six people were left at each table.

"Come, children," Bellatrix said, "Gather at the tribute table. We're all friends here."

Once we had all gathered at the table, Bellatrix announced, "They may be called the Hogwarts Games, but there is a lot more to it than that. You must train, both physically and mentally. You must have an open mind. Embrace new concepts. Or you will have no chance of surviving. There are events that come before the Hogwarts Games, all in preparation for them. There is your training, your individual assessments, which we will judge, the weighing of the wands, and the interviews. And of course there is your farewell to your close ones right before the Games. Today is your first day of training. It will take place in the Room of Requirement. Come along."

We followed her through the hallways. Students and teachers stared at us as we passed. They didn't bother lowering their voices.

"It's the tributes. What do you think they're doing today?"

"The Potters, Weasleys, Longbottoms, and a Malfoy! It's going to be quite eventful this year."

I couldn't block them out and just gave up. We went up to the seventh floor and went down to the left corridor. And we stopped in front of a brick wall.

It suddenly shifted and a large door appeared. Voldemort grabbed the handle and swung the door open. The sound of it slamming against the wall echoed throughout the hall.