Chapter 16: James

A gasp sounded through the crowd and the bell rang. Albus had left the stage when they called, "James Potter."

I tried not to show any sign of weakness. I hid my shock of what Albus has done.

"James, would you back out of the Hogwarts Games if you had a chance?" Lockhart asked, "You wouldn't have to fight but everyone else did."

"No," I answered, "I wouldn't."

"Why? Surely you don't wish to die."

"I don't. But I wouldn't back out. I'm no coward. And I would stay for Albus, Lily, my cousins, and friends. I wouldn't be able to watch them fight to the death while knowing that I could've been with them at the moment, helping them."

"If you died, what would your last words be?"

I thought about it. I wasn't sure. "It doesn't feel right to determine one's last words before death. So I don't know."

"How would you feel if you won the Hogwarts Games?"

"Horrible," I answered honestly.

"How long do you think you can last in the Hogwarts Games?"

"A long time," I grinned at him, "I have my ways."

'We'll see it all in the arena then. If you killed everyone in arena what would be the first thing you'd say to your friends and family?"

"I'm sorry."

"What do you think your score will be?"

"Maybe an eight?" I didn't want to seem smug about myself.

A number appeared on the screen. Ten. I tried to hide my shock. The clip played, showing me dueling with spells and swords.

"So, James, you're in your fifth year here at Hogwarts. By now, you must have one lucky lady in your life. Am I correct?" Lockhart asked.

"Quite."

"Oooooh," Lockhart winked, "Does she know you?"

"Oh, yes. But she believes us to be more like friends. At least, I think so."

Lily was eying me from where she sat as if going, What are you playing at?

"Well, she couldn't possibly say no to you once you win the Games." I could tell he really wanted to know about love life. Great, that was what I was going for.

"Oh, I don't think so," I said, feigning sadness.

"Why not?"

"Because she was Reaped as well."

"Well, who is it?" Lockhart was practically bouncing up and down in his seat. The tributes leaned forward, afraid that they'll miss it.

"Hermione Longbottom."