Chap 20

Jude chuckles and shakes his head, attempting to maintain a light-hearted atmosphere despite the tension swirling within him.

"Relax, sweetheart. I won't say anything to ruin your perception of me. But I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you," Jude laughs, but the forced ease in his tone hints at his unease.

Just then, Rodrygo walks in with a teasing smirk plastered on his face. "Hey, Jude. Don't get too cozy with Juliette now. We still have a bet going on, remember?" he says, his voice dripping with insinuation.

Juliette's eyebrow shoots up. "A bet?" she asks, her curiosity piqued.

Jude quickly shoots Rodrygo a warning look, silently pleading with him to keep quiet about their real bet. "Oh, it's nothing," Jude says, smirking to cover his growing anxiety. "Rodrygo just made a stupid bet with me. You know how he is with his silly challenges. He's just trying to annoy me."

Juliette isn't convinced. "What's the bet?"

Jude shrugs, trying to appear nonchalant. "Just a silly bet on who can score the most goals this season. Rodrygo thinks he's gonna win, but he's underestimated me." He laughs, hoping to steer the conversation away. "So, how about some food, eh? Rodrygo's been working hard in the kitchen."

Juliette narrows her eyes, still suspicious but willing to let it go for now. "Alright..." she says, thinking that she'll get the truth from Rodrygo later. "How's the food?"

Jude takes a bite, hoping the delicious flavors will help diffuse the tension. "Mmm, it's delicious. Rodrygo is a surprisingly good cook. He might be a pain in my ass, but I can't deny that he's got some skills in the kitchen. How about you give it a taste? I think you'll like it."

Juliette takes a bite, her eyes lighting up in genuine surprise. "Yeah, it's great!"

Jude smiles and nods in agreement, feeling a small victory. "See? Told you it was good. Rodrygo may be annoying, but he's got some hidden talents. Let's eat up, we can talk more after food."

Juliette laughs, feeling the tension ease slightly. "Why do you want to eat so much?"

Jude grins and shrugs, trying to keep the mood light. "What can I say? I'm a growing boy. Plus, I need to keep my energy up for all the goals I'm gonna score this season, right?" He laughs and takes another bite of food.

Juliette smirks, her eyes twinkling with mischief. "For your bet?" she teases.

Jude rolls his eyes and chuckles, though there's an edge to his laughter. "Yeah, yeah. Gotta keep my skills sharp for that bet with Rodrygo. Can't let him think he's got a chance." He takes another bite.

Juliette's gaze shifts to Rodrygo. "What was the bet again, Rodrygo? I'm so silly that I forgot."

Rodrygo feels a pang of nervousness as Juliette's attention zeroes in on him. He glances at Jude, who gives a subtle nod, urging him to stick to the story. But instead of complying, Rodrygo's smirk widens provocatively.

"Oh, the bet?" Rodrygo begins, his tone deliberately casual. "It's about who can... get to know you better, Juliette." He pauses, enjoying the look of surprise and confusion on her face.

Jude's eyes flash with anger and panic. "Rodrygo," he warns, his voice low and dangerous.

Rodrygo just laughs, unperturbed. He leans back, his arrogance palpable.

Juliette's eyes narrow further. "'Get to know me better'? What exactly does that mean?"

Jude forces a laugh, trying to salvage the situation. "Rodrygo's just being a jerk. The real bet is about goals, like I said. He's just trying to stir up trouble."

Rodrygo shrugs, unfazed.

"Hmh," Juliette murmurs, her suspicion deepening. She decided to play along for now, but she knew something was off. Her eyes flicked between Jude and Rodrygo, making a mental note to find out the truth, no matter what it took.

As Juliette turns her attention back to her food, Jude fixes Rodrygo with a deadly stare, silently seething. His eyes blaze with a clear message: Shut. Your. Mouth. Rodrygo meets his gaze with a defiant smirk, clearly enjoying the tension he's created. Jude clenches his jaw, feeling the weight of the situation pressing down on him, and vows to find a way to deal with Rodrygo's reckless arrogance before it ruins everything he built with Juliette.