chap 30

Juliette looks at him, her eyes still red from crying. "What happened?"

Jude takes a deep breath, trying to calm himself down. "Alejandro was being his usual obnoxious self. He was saying stupid stuff about how you'll come back to him and how I'm trying to play the role of the knight in shining armor. It just pissed me off, you know?"

She calms down a bit, her tears still fresh but slowing. "It doesn't surprise me. I'm sorry you had to talk to him but I just couldn't."

Jude shakes his head, still feeling annoyed by Alejandro's words. "Don't apologize, it's fine. I just couldn't stand there and let him talk about you like that. But don't worry, I shut him up real quick."

She chuckles softly, a small smile breaking through her sadness. "Doesn't surprise me."

He smiles slightly, feeling a bit proud that he got under Alejandro's skin. "Yeah, he wasn't too happy when I told him he screwed up and that you deserved someone better. He started getting all defensive and trying to justify his cheating. It's honestly pathetic."

Juliette sighs, her smile fading as the reality of her situation sets in again. "And now I have to see him again to pack my stuff at his apartment."

Jude's expression darkens at the thought of Alejandro being near her. "Wait, you're going back to his apartment? Alone?"

She shrugs her shoulders, feeling a mixture of dread and resignation. "I have no choice."

Jude's protective instincts kick in, and he looks concerned. "Why don't you let me go with you? I don't want you being around him alone, especially if he starts trying to pressure you into getting back with him."

She hesitates, feeling a bit of relief but also guilt. "You sure? I don't want to bother."

He nods without hesitating. "It's no bother at all. I actually want to go with you. I'll feel better knowing you're not there alone with him. Plus, I've been wanting an excuse to punch him in the face."

She nods, feeling a bit more at ease. "Thanks."

Jude smiles slightly. "Don't sweat it. I just don't want you having to deal with Alejandro's nonsense alone. Plus, I have a feeling I might need to stop myself from punching him."

Juliette looks at him, her curiosity and lingering hurt surfacing. "Why are you being nice to me?"

Jude looks at her, his expression soft. "I'm not being nice to you, I'm just being a decent human being. We might have had our differences in the past, but that doesn't mean I'm gonna sit back and let you deal with this mess on your own. Plus, I don't like seeing you hurting."

She raises an eyebrow, her eyes locking onto his. The pain in her heart mingles with a flicker of hope. "Really? Then why did you hurt me then?" Her voice trembles slightly, and she feels her tears drying on her skin.

He looks at her, his expression conflicted. "I was an idiot back then, okay? I won't deny that I was a jerk to you in high school. But I was young and stupid, and I was trying to act cool in front of my friends. I'm not making excuses, but I was a different person back then."

Juliette nods slowly, her thoughts drifting back to the hurt he caused. "I know that, Jude... I'm talking about your bet."

Jude looks at her again, feeling a pang of guilt. "The bet. Right. I don't know, honestly. It was a stupid thing to do, and I guess I just wanted to be seen as cool in front of the guys. I didn't think about how it would affect you. I'm sorry."

She looks away, her voice tinged with pain. "You really hurt me, Jude. I truly believed that you had changed. And I still want to believe it, but you're the person who hurt me the most on this planet. Hearing you say that you don't like to see me hurt feels like such a lie."

He looks at her, his expression pained. He feels a surge of guilt and remorse overwhelming him, knowing that he caused her pain. "I know. I know I hurt you, and I can't change the past. But I'm being sincere when I say that I don't like seeing you hurt. I don't expect you to believe me or to trust me, but I'm trying to make amends and to be a better person. I'm sorry, Juliette."

She nods, her heart heavy with the weight of their shared history. "Unfortunately, I can't forgive you, Jude. Thank you for what you've done tonight, but I refuse to be the same naive person again."

He looks down, feeling a mix of disappointment and sadness. He can't blame her for not forgiving him. "I understand. I know I don't deserve your forgiveness, and you have every right not to trust me. I just wanted to help you tonight, and I want you to know that I'm sorry for everything. I know it doesn't change anything, but it's the truth."

Juliette looks at him, her eyes searching his. "Can I ask you a question?"

Jude looks at her, his expression slightly guarded. "Uh, yeah sure. Go ahead."

She hesitates, her voice softening as she recalls the past. "The thing you said to me, during your bet with Rodrygo... Was it all fake? Like-"

He looks at her, his expression becomes solemn. "Honestly? No, it wasn't fake. I mean, yeah, the bet was a stupid thing to do, but the things I said to you...they weren't fake at all. I meant every word of it."

She nods, feeling a mix of relief and sadness.

Jude looks at her, his expression slightly hopeful. "Maybe it's wishful thinking, but I'm hoping that you'll give me another chance. I know I've messed up big time, but I'm really trying to be better. I'll do whatever it takes to prove it to you."

Juliette looks at him, her eyes filled with pain. "Jude, how many chances did I give you? I can't forgive you eternally."

Jude looks down, feeling even more disappointed. "I know, I know. It's like I said, I don't blame you for not forgiving me. I've hurt you too many times, and I've messed up too many chances. I just wish I could turn back time and undo all the pain I've caused you."

She looks down, her voice barely above a whisper. "But you can't... And my life must go on... without you in it. I think it's better for ourselves..."

He looks at her, his heart feeling heavy. "You're right, I can't turn back time. And I know that things can't go back to how they used to be. Maybe you're right, maybe it's better for us to go our separate ways. But it hurts to think that we can never repair what we had."

She sighs, her voice filled with resignation. "I fear it's impossible... Thank you for what you did tonight though... I'm gonna head to my home. Alejandro's not in town for now so... Tell your mom I had an incident... Goodnight, Jude."

Jude nods, his expression solemn. "Okay. I'll let my mom know. Take care of yourself, okay?"

Juliette nods and starts to walk to her car. "Yeah..."