chap 35

Weeks passed, and Jude was still haunted by Juliette's words. The once vibrant and lively footballer now seemed like a shadow of himself. He threw himself into his training with a single-minded intensity that bordered on self-destruction, hoping that sheer physical exhaustion might numb the ache in his heart. On the field, he was relentless, pushing his body beyond its limits, but off the field, he was a different story. He became withdrawn, barely speaking to anyone, his usual easy-going nature replaced by a cold, distant demeanor. The memory of Juliette's cold dismissal, her declaration that she never felt anything for him, played on a loop in his mind, driving him deeper into his own personal hell.

His teammates noticed the change, of course. They weren't blind to the fact that something was seriously wrong with him. But Jude didn't want to talk about it, and so they left him alone, unsure of how to approach him without setting him off. Everyone except for Militao, who refused to let his friend spiral without doing something about it.

Militao had always been perceptive, and he could see right through Jude's tough exterior. He saw the pain, the frustration, the heartbreak that Jude was trying so hard to hide. He knew that this wasn't just about football or the pressure of living up to expectations; it was about Juliette. The girl who had managed to get under Jude's skin in a way no one else ever had. The girl who had left him shattered with just a few words.

Days turned into weeks, and Jude's self-imposed torment continued. He trained harder, ran faster, lifted heavier anything to drown out the thoughts of Juliette. But no matter how hard he pushed himself, he couldn't escape her. Her face, her voice, her words they were etched into his mind, an ever-present reminder of what he had lost.

One evening, after another grueling day of training, Jude sat on his couch, staring blankly at the wall. He was physically exhausted, his muscles aching, but his mind was still racing. He couldn't stop thinking about her, about the way she had looked at him that last time, with a mixture of sadness and finality. He hated that look. He hated that he still cared so much, that he couldn't just move on like she apparently had.

Suddenly, there was a knock on the door. Jude blinked, pulled from his thoughts, and stood up slowly, wondering who it could be. When he opened the door, he found Militao standing there, concern etched on his face.

"Hey, Jude. Can I come in, man? I want to talk to you," Militao said, his tone gentle but firm.

Jude sighed heavily, too tired to put up any kind of resistance. He stepped aside, gesturing for Militao to enter. Once inside, Militao sat down on the couch, looking at Jude with a mix of worry and frustration.

"How are you holding up, man? You look like shit," Militao said, not bothering to sugarcoat his words.

Jude let out a weak, humorless laugh. "Thanks for the compliment. I'm doing just great. Absolutely peachy."

Militao frowned, not buying it for a second. "Look, man, I can see that you're not doing well. We're all worried about you. You haven't been yourself lately. You're training like a madman, you're not talking to anyone, and you look like you haven't slept in days."

Jude rubbed his face, feeling the weight of his exhaustion pressing down on him. He knew Militao was right, but admitting that would mean acknowledging the depth of his pain. And he wasn't ready to do that.

"I'm fine, alright? I just...I just need some time to sort things out in my head, that's all," Jude said, his voice hoarse.

Militao didn't look convinced. "Man, you've been sorting things out in your head' for weeks now. I don't buy it. This is about Juliette, isn't it?"

At the mention of her name, Jude tensed, his jaw clenching. He didn't want to talk about her. He didn't want to think about her. But he couldn't stop himself from reacting. "What? No. It's not about her. It's about...everything. The football, the pressure, everything. It's just a lot right now."