Chapter Sixteen

I had put in a lot of work into the farm since I arrived back in spring. I finally had more furniture thanks to Robin and my new friends who helped me put it all together. I had finally cleared out all the planting beds and had managed to take down a few of the excess trees growing all about but there still felt like there was something missing: the sound of farm animals grazing in the grass. I looked over at the perishing buildings and thought back to a time when that area of the farm was full of life. Once upon a time, the animals on the farm had been my only friends here aside from Abigail. I liked animals, because they always loved you unconditionally. They didn't know what it meant to hurt someone intentionally.

I decided I would go see Robin again today. And while seeing Robin meant the possibility of seeing a grumpy Sebastian, seeing him in any capacity or any mood was better to me than not seeing him at all.

There was something different about Robin's house today. The garage door was open and there was someone's legs poking out from it on the ground. His feet were flat on the dirt beneath him and his knees were bent, poking up to the sky above. The legs sticking out from the garage were clad in black pants and I knew it had to be Sebastian. As I got closer, I discovered that my guess was correct. He was laying on one of those rolling dollies used to move heavy things but it looked like it had been homemade of raw wood, sanded down no doubt by Robin. His torso was halfway under a shiny chrome and dark blue motorcycle. The blue accent color was so deep and rich, it almost looked like the night sky or the deepest depths of the ocean where the light from above couldn't reach.

He must've heard the crunch of my footsteps against the gravelly dirt because suddenly, he rolled himself out from underneath the motorcycle, his grease smudged face just barely visible.

"Oh, hey." He said nonchalantly, no expression on his face, when he saw it was me. Despite his lack of emotion, he appeared to be in a better mood today. He pushed himself further out and sat up, resting his arms on his bent knees in front of him. "It's Stella, right? He asked and I swiftly nodded. Just hearing his deep, rich voice say my name was enough to make my knees weak.

Finally I had discovered the real reason Robin had a garage attached to her house. I found it interesting though that Sebastian had a motorcycle. I wondered what need he had for it considering everyone had told me he almost never left his room. "Is that yours?" I asked.

"Yeah," He said, glancing back at it. "I was just changing the oil out real quick." He explained.

"Oh..." I said, unsure of where to take the conversation from after that. An awkward silence passed over us as I contemplated whether I should say something else or just run inside to see Robin.

"Sometimes, after sundown, I make the long ride out of Stardew Valley alone towards Zuzu City." He offered up. "It just... helps me clear my mind, I guess."

"That sounds nice." I said softly. I'd never been on a motorcycle before but I'd always imagined what it would feel like to have the wind in my hair as we raced down the highway at fast speeds, holding onto his waist and watching the world go by in a blur.

"Stella?" I heard Sebastian say my name again and broke out of my sudden daydream to see him staring at me expectantly.

"Sorry, what?" I asked, shaking my head slightly and realizing he must've said something to me that I clearly was too busy daydreaming to hear.

"I just asked if you'd want to take a ride sometime." Sebastian repeated himself for my sake.

"Oh, sure, that sounds fun!" I exclaimed but Sebastian just kept looking at me with those melancholic eyes of his.

"Cool." He said simply, unphased, and laid back down on his rolling dolly, pulling himself back under the bike.

I took a couple steps backward, keeping my eyes on Sebastian underneath his bike before I turned towards the door of Robin's house.

"Stella?"

I turned my head to see Sebastian had poked his head back out from underneath his bike. "You coming to the saloon tonight?" He asked.

"Of course." I nodded and gave him a smile but he just stared at me, expressionless.

"Cool." He said again, in the same tone he had previously, before rolling himself back under his bike for a second time just like he had done a few minutes earlier.

I sighed softly to myself as I opened the door to Robin's house. I felt accomplished and defeated all at the same time. Sebastian was finally saying more than a few words to me which had really started at the beach and this seemed to be a continuation. But, his face was always expressionless and his tone emotionless. It was like he was talking to me because he had to, not because he wanted to. As I walked through the door, I saw Robin standing behind the counter, a wide smile on her face at the sight of me—the complete opposite reaction Sebastian had had.

"Stella!" Robin exclaimed, "How was the walk up here?"

"Oh, it was fine." I told her. "I actually just came to ask you about the chicken coop and the barn on the farm. I was hoping to start raising animals again but there's no way I can keep happy animals with the shape those buildings are in right now."

"I'd be happy to help." Robin said energetically. "I can get started tomorrow."

"Wow, okay, great." I was starting to think that Robin didn't have very many projects to do in town and had been just waiting for someone like me to come along who constantly required her help.

"Did you see Sebby on your way in?" Robin asked.

It took everything in me not to giggle at the nickname she'd given her son. It was very wholesome which didn't suit him at all. "Yeah, I did." I told her.

"Did he talk with you?" She quickly responded, almost interrogating, like she already knew what my answer was going to be before I said anything and needed no reaction time to process the conversation.

"He did..." I said slowly, growing suspicious of Robin now.

"Oh, good." She sounded relieved. "I told him he should really try to make more friends and now with you here, I suggested he try being friendly with you."

Now it all made sense—why Sebastian was suddenly being so nice and why I felt like he was only talking to me because he had to. It truly was because he had to. Robin was instructing him to be nice to me. I knew it was all too good to be true. I knew someone like him—like me—wouldn't go out of their way to make new friends unless there was someone pestering them about it which I'm sure Robin did often.

It seemed as though Robin was going to force me to be Sebastian's friend whether I wanted to be or not; luckily for her, though, I wanted to be.