Chapter Thirty

Sebastian rolled the bike out of the garage and kicked the stand down, before heading back inside the garage for a moment to grab a helmet for each of us. He handed me the helmet and it was heavier than I realized it would be. I placed the opening at the top of my head and tried to pull it down, not realizing just how much padding was inside.

When Sebastian noticed me struggling, he bopped me on the top of the head, pushing the helmet down with a quick swish, the thick interior of the helmet suddenly covering my ears and making my hearing slightly muffled.

"Here, you get on first." He said, motioning to the bike once both our helmets were on. "It'll be easier that way."

"Um... Okay..." I stared at the motorcycle, no clue how I was supposed to mount this thing. I walked towards it slowly, and felt Sebastian's eyes on me as he watched me.

"Just swing your leg over." He instructed and I did as he said. "Then use the foot pegs back here to move yourself back." He pointed to the pedals on either side of the bike near the back seat. I settled one foot on one of them and pushed myself back a little as I brought my other foot up and managed to settle myself into the seat.

After I was in my seat, Sebastian effortlessly swung his leg over the bike and sat in the seat in front of me, the bike bouncing slightly as he shifted in his seat to get himself comfortable. With a loud road of the engine, the bike came to life and now I started to feel a little nervous.

Sebastian turned his head to the side and looked at me through the opening in his helmet. "Grab onto my belt." He shouted over the engine. I looked down to where his hands were on either side of his hips. "Right here." He said as he patted the spot where I was supposed to hold onto.

I grabbed onto either side of his belt with shaky and sweaty palms as he kicked the stand up off the ground, balancing the bike with his legs. I tightened my grip on Sebastian's belt as I tried to steady myself with this new shift of weight.

Sebastian revved the engine, most likely trying to impress me, and then he turned his head to me again to speak. "If I tap your leg," He said, tapping my shin, "Hold on tight."

Before I could say anything, the motorcycle started moving forward, and my fingers gripped Sebastian's belt even harder as I adjusted to the sudden jolt forward. He started riding down a pathway I didn't even know existed in Stardew Valley, and before I knew it, we were on a paved road, passing the broken down bus near grandpa's farm and through the long tunnel that led out of Pelican Town. We floated along at a comfortable speed at first and I watched the trees fly by in a blur of green.

After we'd been on the highway for a little while, Sebastian tapped my leg. He had told me to hold on tight but I wasn't quite sure what he'd meant. I hesitated for a moment, unsure of where I was supposed to hold him until one of his hands reached around and grabbed mine from his belt and placed it around his waist. I followed his lead and wrapped both my arms around him, my chest pressing against his back. Once I was in place, he quickly accelerated as the bike hummed and we were flying down the highway at an incredible speed. My arms tightened around his torso as we sped down the road and I could feel myself grinning as my adrenaline raced through my veins with excitement. I closed my eyes, a little bit scared of the intense speed at which we were traveling, but also to shield my eyes from the wind that hit my face as we rode down the empty stretch of road.

I opened my eyes as I felt us begin to slow down and I saw the pavement beneath us had turned into a rocky surface. Sebastian brought us to a stop and kicked the stand down. He dismounted the bike, taking his helmet off and shaking his hair out. I shimmied myself down to the seat in front of me and straddled the bike awkwardly as I tried to figure out how to get off.