Chapter Twenty-Five

Winter was already starting to come to an end and I couldn't believe that I'd been here in Stardew Valley for almost a whole year already.

It was New Year's Eve. Abigail said that her and Sam usually went over to Sebastian's to play video games and pretend like it was any other normal day. Abigail said she didn't see the point of New Years.

"So, the earth makes another trip around the sun. Big whoop." She said as we walked together up the steps embedded in the side of the hill that the community center sat on, a level above the rest of town. "I don't get why it's such a big deal. And why don't we celebrate the start of a new season each time? Why do we only celebrate the finalization of winter with a big party for Earth's rotation?"

"Maybe because spring is the season of rebirth." I said, partially dreaming of those warmer days ahead when the grass would grow green again, the birds would chirp outside my window in the crisp morning and the valley would come alive like air was breathed into it overnight, revived from its deep slumber. "It's the only season where everything starts to grow again after the cold, barren wasteland of winter."

I hated winter. Even as a winter birthday baby, I hated every minute of every bitterly cold day. I always fell into a deeper sadness in winter than the rest of the year. Maybe it was the shorter days. Less sunlight scientifically made people more sad, right? But maybe it was also because winter was a harsh reminder that everything dies at one point or another and when things die, you realize just how lonely you truly are. There's no work to be done; nothing to distract you from the thoughts you just can't stop.

"You really hate winter, don't you?" Abigail asked, turning her head to look at me as we trudged up the small hill pathway that led towards Robin's house in the mountains.

"It leaves me with too much time to remember things I keep trying to forget." I said, looking out ahead at the small waterfall at the back of town, partially frozen from the biting temperature drop we had been experiencing for a few days now.

"So everything you said about your dad the other day was true, wasn't it..." Abigail said from beside me, her words trailing off as realization hit her of just how bad my secret life away from Stardew Valley really was.

I grimly nodded. I wasn't sure how much more I wanted to tell her about my father and I wasn't sure what she already knew, but I knew she had to have some kind of idea what kind of person my father is.

Before either of us could decide whether or not we wanted to continue this conversation, we approached the door of Robin's shop and stepped inside. The heat inside immediately hit me, beginning to warm my chilled skin.

"Hi, girls!" Robin greeted us with a cheerful smile. "Sam just went downstairs. I assume you're here to see Sebby, too?"

"Damn, Sam beat us." Abigail grumbled while it took everything in me not to laugh at Robin's nickname for Sebastian. Every time I heard it come out of her mouth, I wanted to laugh. It just didn't fit him.

Robin continued to smile warmly at us as she watched Abigail and I descend the steps into the dark stairwell that led to Sebastian's room in the basement. The door was actually open this time, and we walked in to find Sebastian and Sam already playing some video game together on Sebastian's computer.

"Wait, watch out for that right there!" Sam was saying, pointing at the screen as Sebastian furiously clicked the mouse.

"Uh, hey guys." Abigail said and the boys groaned as Abigail's interruption caused them to lose whatever it was they were playing.

"C'mon Abby, we were just about to beat the Red Hot Rollercoaster level of Junimo Kart." Sam griped, standing from the stool he had parked behind Sebastian and moving towards me, putting his arm around my shoulders and pulling me into his side.