Chapter 21

The morning sun cast a pallid light over the ratted-down building where the group of Jedi stood hidden. The structure, with its crumbling facade and rusted signs, seemed almost resigned to its fate, mirroring the gravity of their mission. Elara, standing close behind Master Norin, Master Sol and Jecki, felt a tense anticipation in the cold air. They were observing Osha, disguised as Mae, as she entered the building to confront the apothecary owner.

Yord, standing beside Elara, couldn't shake the unease that had settled over him since their encounter earlier. He glanced at her, noting the determined set of her jaw. Despite their distance and strained interactions, he couldn't deny the bond they shared. He shifted his focus back to the building, where Osha was about to initiate a crucial conversation.

Inside, the apothecary's voice came through the comlink, sounding surprisingly cheerful. "Hello!" he greeted, his tone brighter than they had expected.

"Hello," Osha replied, her voice slightly unsure.

"Hi!" the apothecary continued, the enthusiasm in his voice undiminished. "You're back so early."

"I wanted to see you," Osha said, her response measured.

"See me?" The apothecary's tone shifted to one of disbelief. "Oh..."

Elara, her attention fixed on the comlink, tensed as she listened. She could hear the man's tone shift, growing more suspicious. "Mae, are you okay? Did the poison work?"

Jecki looked up at Master Sol and Yord, her expression determined. "That's all we need. I say that's our signal."

Yord's gaze met Master Sol's. "Let's pull her out."

As the conversation took a darker turn, Master Sol's eyes widened with realization. "You killed Torbin without the poison," the apothecary said to Osha. "He will be so pleased."

"GO!" Master Sol commanded.

Yord sprinted towards the front of the building, his heart pounding as he pushed through the door. Master Sol followed closely, while Jecki, Elara, and Master Norin headed towards the back entrance.

Inside, the apothecary, a disheveled figure clad in dirty, dark layers of clothing with oily long strands of hair and dark, shifty eyes, stood in shock. Yord, catching sight of him, barked out, "Where's Mae?"  His lightsaber was ignited, pointing at the man.

The man held up his hands defensively, stepping back towards the back door. "Woah, woah—wait," he said, his voice trembling. Jecki, quick to act, blocked his path.

"We know you supplied Mae with the poison that killed Master Torbin," Jecki said, her tone firm. "We have your confession."

Elara stood beside Master Norin, her hand instinctively hovering near her lightsaber, her gaze locked on the man before them. His eyes tracked her every move, a knowing glint in them as if he recognized her.

"That isn't my thing—this is her. I didn't know what she was going to do with that stuff," the man stammered, his attention back to Master Sol.

"If you cooperate, we'll consider letting you go with a warning." Master Sol's gaze was intense as he questioned the man. "What is your relationship to her?"

The man's face was a mask of confusion. "Me? I'm just her supplier. Started out gun-running for the Hutt Cartel. Now I supply people like her with what they need for the right price."

Yord's jaw tightened. "Well, maybe you could supply us with the truth."

Master Sol's voice was stern. "Who is he?" he asked, his attention shifting to the man. The apothecary looked bewildered. "I thought he was with you?" He pointed to Yord, a hint of confusion in his eyes.

"Does Mae have a master? Is someone training her?" Sol pressed further.

The man shook his head. "I had no idea what was going on with that girl. All I know is she wants revenge on the Jedi."

Elara shifted her position, accidentally knocking over some trinkets. The clatter drew the attention of everyone in the room, including the apothecary, whose gaze lingered on her with puzzlement. Yord noticed the man's fleeting, curious glances towards Elara, a surge of protective concern flaring within him.

"Sorry," Elara murmured, quickly picking up the fallen trinkets and placing them back on the shelves.

"If you want to catch her, she'll be back here tonight," the man said, his voice wavering. "I'm holding some things for her."

Master Sol nodded, his expression resolute. "Secure the perimeter," he ordered the Jedi. The team moved swiftly to ensure their surroundings were secure, preparing for the inevitable confrontation that lay ahead.

As they regrouped, Yord's mind raced with the implications of what they had just learned. Something is amiss.