Chapter 26

After being discharged from the infirmary, Elara had only two days to recover before she was back on her feet. The urgency of the mission to Khofar called her away from the comfort of the Temple and thrust her back into the field. She joined her Master, Norin, along with Jedi Master Sol and the rest of the team, including Yord, as they embarked on their journey to the jungle planet.

As the ship landed on Khofar, the dense jungle spread out before them, a labyrinth of green that seemed to pulse with life. The team readied themselves for the challenges ahead, knowing the mission would test their resolve and their skills.

With a deep breath, Elara stepped out of the ship and into the lush environment of Khofar, her mind focused on the task at hand. The investigation would not only test their physical endurance but also challenge their ability to remain united despite the strains of personal conflicts and the ever-present threat of the dark side.

The jungle planet of Khofar was dense and alive, teeming with the sounds of its wildlife and the rustling of leaves in the humid air. The golden light of the afternoon sun barely penetrated the thick canopy, casting dappled shadows on the ground below. Jedi Master Sol led the expedition, his eyes scanning the terrain for any signs of Mae or her accomplices.

Alongside Master Sol were Master Norin, Yord, Elara, Padawan Jecki Lon, other Jedi and the Tynnan Tracker Bazil. Bazil, with his bear-like appearance and the nose of a bloodhound, was a vital part of their team. The little tracker had been sent out ahead to pick up Mae's trail, but frustration grew among the Jedi as Bazil had not yet returned.

Osha, who had initially planned to go her own way, was convinced by Master Sol to join the team. Her knowledge of Mae and their shared past made her a valuable asset, despite the tension it brought.

"We're getting close," Master Sol announced, his voice calm but firm. "Stay alert."

Elara's mind was a whirlwind of thoughts. This mission was crucial, and the presence of Yord only added to her internal conflict. Their last encounter had left her feeling raw and uncertain, yet she knew she had to maintain her focus.

As they moved deeper into the jungle, the team heard a commotion ahead. They hurried forward to find Bazil dangling from a trap, his little legs kicking in the air. Mae had set the trap, and it was clear she was close.

"Cut him down," Master Norin ordered.

Elara ignited her lightsaber and deftly sliced through the ropes, lowering Bazil to the ground. He shook himself off, his nose twitching as he pointed them in the direction Mae had gone.

"She's heading towards Kelnacca's abode," Bazil squeaked.

The team moved quickly, but cautiously, through the dense foliage. As they approached the Wookiee Jedi's dwelling, a sense of foreboding settled over them. Elara's heart pounded in her chest, and she tightened her grip on her lightsaber.

When they arrived, the sight that greeted them was grim. Kelnacca lay lifeless, a deep, fatal wound cut through his chest by a lightsaber. The air was thick with the dark side, a palpable presence that made the Jedi uneasy.

"Too late," Osha whispered, her voice tinged with sorrow.

•••

The expedition had remained unified, with Master Sol and his team, including Osha and Elara, scouring the area together in search of the elusive Sith and the fallen Wookiee Jedi, Kelnacca. Unfortunately, they arrived too late to save Kelnacca, finding only the cold remains of the Wookiee, cut down by a lightsaber.

Elara, her brow furrowed in concentration, walked alongside Master Norin and the other Jedi. Osha, in civilian attire that she had begrudgingly accepted, trailed behind, her eyes scanning the surroundings with a mixture of wariness and frustration. Despite her outward composure, the discomfort of her clothing was evident. Master Norin's sharp gaze caught every movement, his concern for his padawan palpable.

Yord, who had remained close to Elara since the events on Olega, cast wary glances her way, his protective instincts in overdrive. His efforts to reach out had been met with silence, and the rift between them was palpable. Both Osha and Jecki Lon had noticed the tension, but neither spoke of it openly.

The forest seemed to close in around them as they continued their search. The eerie stillness was shattered by the sudden appearance of a cloaked figure, the Sith. His lightsaber ignited with a menacing red glow, casting a stark contrast against the verdant backdrop. The Jedi immediately engaged, their lightsabers flashing as they worked to subdue the Sith.

The battle was intense. Master Norin, Master Sol, and the other Jedi moved with practiced precision, but the Sith's agility and strength were formidable. After a few tense minutes, the Sith vanished into the thick foliage, leaving the Jedi stunned and disoriented.

Elara, caught in the whirlwind of the confrontation, found herself separated from the group. She walked cautiously, her senses on high alert, the dense underbrush making every step an effort. Her heart pounded in her chest as the fear of being alone overwhelmed her. The shadows of the jungle seemed to close in, her anxiety escalating as she tried to find her way back to her companions.

Suddenly, a figure emerged from the darkness—a Sith, his helmet reflecting the faint light that filtered through the trees. He moved with deliberate calm, his presence intimidating.

"It's been a long time, my Elara," the Sith's voice, distorted and mechanical, echoed through the forest.

Elara's breath caught in her throat. Her heart raced as she tried to make sense of his words. How did he know her name? She raised and ignited her lightsaber, it gleams a light blue , her stance defensive, but her hands trembled slightly. The Sith's appearance was unsettling, and the weight of isolation pressed heavily upon her. He looks so... familiar?

As she struggled to keep her composure, Master Sol and Master Norin finally arrived, their lightsabers drawn and ready. They took in the scene with a mix of relief and alarm. The Sith paused, his gaze shifting between Elara and the arriving Jedi.

"How did you know my name?" she asked, her voice trembling despite her efforts to sound confident.

"Well, a father should know his child's name," the Sith remarked coldly, the mechanical tones of his voice chilling.

He ignited his lightsaber, its blade gleaming red.

•••

Author's note:

Well... Surprise?