Chapter 30

Elara walked down the dimly lit hallway of the Jedi Temple, her heart heavy with the weight of recent events. She had avoided visiting Jecki, fearing her own emotions would spill over. But Jecki needed her, and she couldn't let her down.

As Elara entered Jecki's room, she saw her friend lying on the bed, looking exhausted but in better spirits. The room was filled with the soft hum of medical equipment, a stark reminder of the dangers they faced every day.

"Elara!" Jecki exclaimed, her face lighting up with a weak smile. "I wasn't expecting you."

Elara forced a smile, trying to mask her own turmoil. "I'm sorry I didn't come right away. I got caught up in... other things."

Jecki's eyes narrowed as she studied Elara's face. "You look terrible. What happened?"

Elara's smile tightened, her eyes betraying her inner struggle. "I'm fine, really. Just tired. How are you feeling?"

Jecki frowned, not convinced but too tired to push further. "I'll be discharged tomorrow. Just need to rest up, they say."

Elara nodded, sitting down beside the bed. "That's good to hear. I was worried about you."

They talked for a while, Elara doing her best to focus on Jecki's recovery and avoid her own feelings. She asked about Jecki's treatment, the doctors, anything to keep the conversation away from herself.

But Jecki wasn't easily fooled. "Elara, you know you can talk to me, right? Whatever it is, I'm here."

Elara looked away, her eyes stinging with unshed tears. "I know, Jecki. I just... I need to sort things out on my own right now."

Jecki reached out and squeezed Elara's hand. "Whenever you're ready, I'm here."

Elara stayed for an hour, trying to be the supportive friend Jecki needed, even as her own heart ached. As she prepared to leave, she leaned down and hugged Jecki gently. "Rest up, okay? I'll see you tomorrow."

Jecki smiled, a glimmer of concern still in her eyes. "Take care of yourself, Elara. We need you too."

Elara nodded, forcing another smile as she walked out of the room. The weight of her own emotions pressed down on her, but she knew she had to keep moving forward. There was no other choice.

•••

Elara never visited Yord again, struggling to distance herself from him. She felt foolish for believing in him, and her mistakes weighed heavily on her. The code she held dear had been compromised, and she found herself entangled in confusion, torn between her feelings for Yord and the haunting memory of her father's demands. The swirling thoughts made her feel lost and disoriented.

She wandered the Temple's corridors for hours, seeking solace in the familiar surroundings, but her mind remained unsettled. Eventually, she found herself standing before the door to her favorite training room, the one place where she could momentarily escape her inner turmoil. Just as she was about to open the door, her comlink beeped to life, startling her.

"Elara, come to the Council Chamber right away. Wait for me; don't go in by yourself." The voice was Master Norin's.

A rush of curiosity and anxiety gripped her. The Council Chamber was a place she had never been, and her mind raced with possibilities. Was the Jedi Council aware of her attachment to Yord? Were they going to expel her? The fear of the unknown gnawed at her, and she imagined the worst—punishment, disgrace, or even worse consequences.

Her heart pounded as she made her way to the lift, the echo of her footsteps amplifying her growing dread. As the lift ascended, she tried to calm her racing thoughts, but the uncertainty only grew. She stepped out into the grand hall outside the Council Chamber, where Master Sol stood waiting. His presence was a small comfort, though it did little to ease her anxiety.