Chapter 42.1

The night was peaceful, but Elara's mind was racing. She lay in her quarters, tears streaming down her face, her sobs echoing softly in the stillness. Master Norin had tried to comfort her, but his efforts were in vain.

As wise as he was, Master Norin couldn't properly weigh the situation. He began to suggest, somewhat desperately, "Perhaps we could ask for another day to decide. It is your future and your baby's future, after all."

Master Norin was now a nervous wreck. He cared deeply for Elara, but he realized he had shown it too late. In his heart, he wished she could be his daughter. He had been strict with her, believing she could do better. He had been absent often, knowing Elara could manage and flourish without him hovering over her all the time.

Elara watched him pace in her small room, her eyes teary. "I'm going to miss you," she said, her voice trembling. "I wish I could thank you enough for all the help you've given me."

Master Norin dismissed her worries with a wave of his hand. "I'll visit you from time to time, Elara. I'll make sure you're alright, no matter what decision you make."

Elara hesitated before asking, "What's Yord going to choose?"

Master Norin shook his head gently. "Don't worry about that now. Worry for yourself. Focus on what you need to do."

The night continued, each moment a struggle for clarity and peace. Elara clung to Master Norin's presence, the weight of the coming day pressing heavily on her heart.

Seeing that Elara's distress had not abated, Master Norin sat down beside her on the small cot. The flickering light of the room cast long shadows, giving the night an eerie stillness. He took a deep breath, trying to find words that might bring her some measure of comfort.

"You know," he began softly, "I remember when you were just a youngling. You were always so determined, so eager to prove yourself. There was this one time during your first year at the Temple..."

Elara's tears slowed as she listened, curiosity peeking through her sorrow.

Master Norin smiled, a distant look in his eyes. "You were determined to master the Force lift. All the other younglings were struggling with lifting pebbles, but not you. You set your sights on lifting one of the training droids. I tried to tell you it was too soon, that you needed more practice, but you wouldn't hear it. I still remember the look of fierce concentration on your face."

Elara managed a weak smile, her mind drifting back to those simpler times. "I remember. I was so frustrated when it didn't work."

"But you didn't give up," Master Norin continued. "You kept practicing every day, in secret. And then one day, during a training session, you surprised everyone by lifting that droid a few inches off the ground. The look of triumph on your face... it was priceless."

A small laugh escaped Elara's lips. "I think I was more surprised than anyone else."

Master Norin chuckled. "Perhaps. But that determination, that strength of will, it has always been a part of you, Elara. It's what has seen you through so many challenges."

Elara wiped her tears away, feeling a small measure of comfort in the shared memory. "I suppose I've always been a bit stubborn."

"And that stubbornness has served you well," Master Norin said. "It's what will get you through this too. No matter what happens, you have the strength to face it."

Elara looked at him, her eyes still glistening with tears but filled with gratitude. "Thank you, Master Norin. For everything."

He nodded, a sad smile on his face. "You're welcome, Elara. You've always been like a daughter to me, even if I haven't always shown it."