Chapter 33

It was a particularly sunny day. Sunshine streamed into the training hall, illuminating the space where the padawans had gathered, waiting for Master Sol. To their surprise, it was Jedi Knight Elara who entered the room, with Jedi Knight Yord trailing behind her.

The padawans quickly stood up and moved to their usual positions, sitting down in anticipation of Elara's orders.

Elara felt a wave of anxiety and fear wash over her. Leading a class for the first time was daunting, especially since these padawans were her age. She had never seen them much because Master Norin had preferred to train her one-on-one, as she had been brought to the Jedi Temple late and needed more focused attention and a faster training pace. Though she recognized some of the padawans, they had never been close. When she was twelve, she was still a youngling, feeling insecure as her peers were already starting their padawan stages.

She had always been behind in her training, particularly with the Force. Despite being highly sensitive to the Force as a child, she had struggled to tap into it properly. Master Norin's impatience had driven her to practice alone in her free time, where she seemed to flourish more. Now, she faced the challenge of teaching others effectively.

"Where are Master Sol and Master Norin?" a human male padawan asked, breaking the silence.

Elara took a deep breath and replied, "They have tasked me to temporarily lead this class in their absence. The reason is undisclosed."

The padawan nodded, seemingly satisfied with her answer.

Elara introduced herself nervously, "I am Jedi Knight Elara." The title felt foreign, and she stumbled over her words. Some padawans furrowed their eyebrows, doubt evident in their expressions.

Feeling small under their scrutinizing gazes, she added, "And this is Jedi Knight Yord." Yord nodded and gave a tight smile to the padawans.

Elara began a lecture on the importance of mastering the different forms of lightsaber combat. "Mastery of lightsaber combat is crucial for any Jedi. It allows us to defend ourselves and others, to protect peace and justice in the galaxy." She tripped over her words, and some padawans covered their smiles and snickers.

She glanced at Yord, who stood at the side of the room, intently watching her. His presence only added to her nerves. "Today, we will focus on two forms: Form I, also known as Shii-Cho, and Form II, also known as Makashi."

Elara began with Form I. "Form I, or Shii-Cho, is also known as The Way of the Sarlacc or The Determination Form. It was the first of the seven forms of lightsaber combat, developed during the transition from ancient metal swords to lightsabers. Shii-Cho established the basic motions and target zones used with a lightsaber. It's a wild and raw form, relying on deliberate tactics and aiming primarily to disarm rather than injure foes, in keeping with Jedi philosophy."

She demonstrated the basic stances and movements of Shii-Cho, the padawans mimicking her closely. "Though it might seem clumsy in the hands of a novice, in the hands of a master, Shii-Cho is fluid, highly randomized, and unpredictable."

After demonstrating several techniques, she urged the padawans to practice. She walked among them, offering corrections and encouragement. Her confidence grew as she saw the padawans improve with each attempt.

Next, she moved on to Form II. "Form II, or Makashi, is also known as The Way of the Ysalamiri or The Contention Form. It was developed to address the failings of Form I in lightsaber-to-lightsaber combat. Makashi is the most dueling-centric of the seven forms, relying on precision and efficiency. Unlike Shii-Cho's wild, sweeping motions, Form II allows you to defend yourself with minimal effort, placing a heavy focus on avoiding disarmament."