Chapter 42.2

Elara approached Yord in the empty training hall, her footsteps muffled by the thick silence that enveloped the space. Each step felt weighted with the gravity of her impending loss. She watched Yord's face closely, searching for a sign, a flicker of hope. But as their eyes met, Yord quickly looked away, his face etched with an unmistakable guilt that cut through her.

The realization hit her with the force of a physical blow—he had not chosen her. Her heart sank, a wave of despair crashing over her as her tears began to fall uncontrollably. Yord's eyes remained averted, his silence more painful than any words he could have spoken.

"Did you choose the Order?" Elara's voice trembled, barely above a whisper. Her question hung in the air, heavy with the weight of her pain. Yord did not answer, his gaze fixed on the floor.

A sob escaped her lips, each breath coming in ragged gasps. "I should have known," she choked out. "I should have known you would choose the Order."

Without waiting for a response, Elara turned and walked away, her steps echoing hollowly in the vast, empty hall. Her heart was shattered, the dreams of a future with Yord and their child now a distant, unattainable fantasy. The space behind her felt colder, emptier, as if all warmth and hope had been drained from it.

Yord remained where he stood, a figure of sorrow and regret, as Elara's figure disappeared down the corridor. The silence returned, even more oppressive than before, a stark reminder of the choices made and the lives irrevocably altered.

•••

Master Norin guided Elara through the modest apartment, its sparse furnishings stark against the emotional weight that had settled over her. The sunlight streamed through the window, casting long shadows on the walls. Elara stood by the window, her eyes fixed on the distant horizon, her expression a mask of emotional numbness.

Master Sol and Jecki busied themselves with the last of the unpacking, while Master Norin watched Elara with a concerned gaze. The room was silent except for the occasional creak of the apartment's old wooden floors and the faint sounds from the street below.

Master Norin, his face lined with worry, turned to Elara. "I'll stay for a while longer to make sure you're settled in and okay," he said, his voice gentle yet firm. He could see the strain in her posture, the way her shoulders sagged, and the sorrow in her eyes that spoke of unspoken grief.

Elara barely responded, her gaze never leaving the view outside. She nodded absently but made no move to acknowledge his presence further. Her eyes, once bright and full of hope, were now bloodshot and devoid of the spark they once held. Her cheeks and nose were flushed red from days of relentless crying.

"I'm fine," she finally said, her voice barely more than a whisper. The words felt hollow, a mere formality to reassure others when her heart was aching and her spirit crushed. Her physical dishevelment was a stark contrast to the calm facade she tried to maintain.

Master Sol exchanged a glance with Jecki, who looked equally troubled. "You don't have to pretend for us, Elara," Master Sol said softly. "We're here for you, no matter what."

Elara took a deep breath, trying to steady herself. "I know," she replied, though the words felt heavy and insincere. The emptiness inside her was profound, and the absence of Yord—his choice to stay with the Order while she had to leave with their child—left a gaping wound in her heart.

The silence returned, filled with the weight of unsaid words and the echoes of what could have been. As the evening approached, Elara continued to stare out the window, her mind a whirlwind of thoughts and memories. The moment she had longed for—a shared future with Yord and their child—had slipped away, leaving her with nothing but the cold reality of her new life.

As Master Sol and Jecki made their way out of Osha's apartment, Master Norin held the door open for them, his face a mask of restrained emotion. "I'll stay for a few more minutes," he said. "You two go ahead."

The door closed behind them, and the apartment was left in a profound silence, save for the quiet hum of the city outside. Master Norin took a deep breath, turning back to Elara, who still stood by the window, her gaze lost in the distance.

Master Norin approached her, pulling a small, carefully wrapped bundle from his bag. With a look of hesitant determination, he revealed its contents—a lightsaber. He extended it toward her with a solemn expression. "Elara, I couldn't resist," he said quietly. "I'm worried I won't be here to protect you and your child from any threats, especially from the Sith. So, I managed to sneak this out. It's yours now."

Elara's eyes widened with confusion and surprise as she looked at the lightsaber in Master Norin's hand. She hesitated for a moment before taking it from him. The weight of the weapon felt oddly comforting in her hands. Her thumb brushed over the activation switch, and the blade ignited with a soft, pale purple glow—just like her old one.

As the light of the blade bathed her face, Elara's tears began to flow again. She sobbed uncontrollably, her emotions overwhelming her. The sight of the lightsaber—an echo of her past, of the life she once lived—made her heart ache all the more.

Master Norin stood by her side, his own eyes reflecting the pain he felt for her. He reached out, placing a gentle hand on her shoulder. "You don't have to use it if you don't want to," he said softly. "But I want you to have it, just in case. You've always been strong, Elara. And you will continue to be, no matter where life takes you."

Elara's grip tightened around the hilt of the lightsaber, her sobs gradually quieting as she looked up at him. "Thank you," she managed to say through her tears. "I—I didn't expect this."

Master Norin nodded, giving her a sad but encouraging smile. "You've always been like a daughter to me, Elara. I wish things could have been different. But whatever happens, know that you are not alone."

With a final, lingering look at the lightsaber, Elara extinguished the blade and gently clipped it to her belt. She took a deep breath, trying to steady herself as she prepared for the path ahead. Master Norin placed a comforting hand on her shoulder one last time before making his way toward the door.

As Master Norin left the apartment, Elara stood alone in the quiet room, the lightsaber a symbol of both the past she was leaving behind and the uncertain future she now faced. The night outside grew darker, but within her, a glimmer of hope remained, however faint.

In this small apartment, far from the familiar confines of the Jedi Temple and the life she once knew, Elara tried to make peace with her choices and find a path forward. The road ahead was uncertain, but she was determined to carve out a new existence, no matter how daunting it seemed.

•••

Author's note:

Before reading the epilogue, I suggest you to read or listen to the lyrics of the NIGHT SHIFT by Lucy Dacus. It will encapsulates all of the emotions that these last chapter will feel.