no point small experiment

Experiment 1: Splashing with Water

Hruday stood on the top of the building, looking down at the zombie restrained below. Its skin was a pallid gray, stretched taut over sharp, angular bones. The creature's eyes, once human, now stared vacantly, occasionally twitching as if struggling to recall some long-lost memory.

Taking a deep breath, Hruday lifted a bucket of water. He glanced at Roy, who nodded in silent encouragement. With a swift motion, Hruday poured the water over the zombie's face. The cold liquid splashed down, drenching its matted hair and flowing over its emaciated features.

The zombie initially showed minimal reaction, merely growling and shaking its head, water dripping from its cracked lips and sunken cheeks. After a moment, it started drinking the water. Hruday continued pouring until the fourth bucket, when the zombie stopped and moved outside.

"Interesting," Hruday muttered, jotting down notes. "It reacts to the water, but not significantly. The brain might still retain some primitive reflexes."

Roy, observing closely, raised an eyebrow. "So, it's not just about survival instincts. They seem to remember... something."

Hruday replied, "Yes, look at that one. It screams and bangs every now and then, almost like it's trying to say something. Could it be...?"

Tyler added, "Yeah, it's like they're imitating the tune of a scream. Not directly, but more like 'ahrrnnn.' I noticed this behavior before. It helped me escape once."

Hruday continued to observe and contemplate. "They seem to remember certain things, like their last moments, and repeat the behavior. Sometimes they bang on the same door and scream in a way that sounds like 'run.'"

Roy asked, "What do we make of this?"

Hruday replied, "For now, we note it. We'll think more about it after we gather more information."

Experiment 2: Applying Pressure

Next, Hruday retrieved a bunch of wet towels, their weight heavy with moisture. He threw one against the zombie's arm, the fabric smacking against decayed flesh. The skin, appearing leathery and brittle, absorbed the water, becoming more pliable.

The zombie reacted with a sudden jerk, its arm twitching violently. It let out a guttural snarl, exposing jagged teeth stained with dried blood. Hruday noticed that repeated applications of the towel seemed to agitate the creature less and less.

"They're adapting," he observed aloud. "The initial reaction is strong, but it diminishes with repetition. It's as if they get used to it."

Roy, standing nearby, frowned. "So, they can learn, even if it's just basic responses?"

Hruday nodded. "It appears so. Their nervous system might be more intact than we thought."

Experiment 3: Exposure to Heat

Hruday prepared the next experiment with caution. A pot of boiling water sat on a portable stove, the steam rising in tendrils. He filled a metal cup with the scalding liquid and approached the zombie, which had resumed its mindless pacing.

Holding the cup carefully, Hruday tipped it over, letting the boiling water cascade onto the zombie's arm. The reaction was immediate and violent. The zombie screamed, a horrifying sound that echoed through the empty house. Its flesh sizzled where the water made contact, steam rising from the burned skin. Some zombies winced in pain while others ran around, seemingly disoriented.

Roy couldn't hide his frustration. "Why are they not acting the same? We can't come to a conclusion with these inconsistent results."

Tyler noted, "Now they've all moved away from us. We have to lure them back every time. Maybe it's time to wrap this up and start cleaning."

Hruday said, "Wait, let's test their hearing and a few other responses. Take the Bluetooth; it's the only one we have, so tie it carefully."

They played various sound frequencies through the Bluetooth speaker. At specific sound waves, the zombies reacted violently, banging their heads and biting the concrete. "9729 Hz to 10000 Hz," Hruday noted, watching the violent reactions. One of the zombies even chased after the tied speaker, forcing them to quickly pull it up.

"They can't handle these frequencies. It's like their brains are wired to reject certain sounds," Hruday observed.

"Maybe, but let's keep observing," he added, still contemplating the results.

Burnt and Dead Corpses

Hruday examined burnt and dead corpses. Burnt corpses had some kind of crystallization, with small, jagged crystals protruding from the flesh. Fungal growth emitted a foul, irritating smell that made everyone cough despite wearing cloth masks.

He gathered the group and asked, "What do you think?"

Tyler said, "I think this might be ant fungus."

Roy exclaimed, "What? Not a virus, but a fungus?"

Hruday clarified, "Yes, it could be. There's a fungus species that infects ants and controls them to go near an ant colony and stay stationary until it sprouts out of their head and spreads its spores. Usually, ants kill them before this happens. But we can't be sure. In nature, there are more species that work like this."

Roy's body shook involuntarily. "Did we just inhale it?"

Hruday shrugged, "I don't know, man. We used masks, but I don't think it would spread that easily. Ever since I started taking Fluoxetine, my anxiety has reduced, and I don't feel anything."

Tyler asked, "Can we take anything we want from storage?"

Hruday replied, "Ahh..."