Chapter 22

Chapter 22- Die Bitch

TIME-SKIP

The engine sputtered, leaving Sam stranded on the side of the road. As she leaned against the car, running her fingers through her hair, a gust of wind whipped through, rustling the leaves overhead.

"Where's your dad when you need him?" she muttered to herself. "Probably busy with clients or something."

A familiar figure materialized down the street, Hannah jogging with a concerned frown etched across her freckled face.

"Sam! Are you okay?" she called out, panting slightly.

"Car broke down. Typical luck," Sam replied, trying to maintain a façade of composure.

"Did you call someone? Maybe the coach could—"

"No, it's fine. I'll just call my parents later." Sam tried to shrug it off, but a shadow loomed over her—one she couldn't shake.

"Come on, let's go back to my place. We still have time for that Netflix marathon," Hannah suggested, her eyes sparkling with excitement.

"Yeah, that sounds good. I could use the distraction."

They walked briskly, chatting about mindless things—school, softball, the ridiculousness of their classmates—until they reached Hannah's doorstep, a sanctuary of comfort.

Inside, the smell of freshly baked cookies enveloped them. Sam inhaled deeply. "You're spoiling me, you know?"

"I know," Hannah grinned. "Chips or cookies first?"

"Cookies! Always."

As they snuck into the living room, nibbling on warm chocolate chip delights, the sound of a door creaking interrupted their chatter.

"Hey, I'll be right back," Hannah said, as she slipped out of the room.

Sam plopped onto the couch, her phone suddenly buzzing with an incoming text. A chill shot down her spine as she glanced at the contact—Scarlett. Her heart raced as she clicked it open.

Where are you?

Her pulse quickened as she glanced at the window, half expecting to see a flash of blond hair or a too-perfect smile locked onto her. She quickly returned the phone to her pocket, the humor from earlier evaporating like mist in the morning sun.

"Sam?" Hannah reappeared, brow raised, eyes sharp. "You okay? You look pale."

"Yeah, just... something I ate," she lied, forcing a smile.

"Right," Hannah said, suspicion lingering in her voice. "Well, I just heard my mom on the phone with your parents. They're thinking of coming by."

Sam froze, panic surging through her. "Why?"

"We're having a little family dinner," Hannah shrugged. "Mom wants everyone to get to know each other. It'll be fun!"

"Fun." The word felt like sandpaper against her thoughts.

"Come on!" Hannah insisted, nudging her playfully. "It'll be hilarious to watch your parents try to keep up with mine. I mean, have you seen my dad at the grille?"

Sam's phone buzzed again, and she quickly looked away, fighting the swell of dread pressing against her chest.

"You sure you're alright?" Hannah asked, her eyes narrowing.

"Yeah! Why wouldn't I be?"

"Just checking." Hannah leaned closer, her voice dropping to a whisper. "If Scarlett's bothering you again, you have to tell me. You know she's still on your case, right?"