Chapter 24

Chapter 24- Kidnapped

The party buzzed around Sam like a swarm of bees, laughter echoing amid the clinking of glasses and the distant bass of music. She clutched her phone, scrolling aimlessly, while the remnants of her teammates' chatter filled the air.

"Hey, Sam!" Scarlett's voice slithered through the crowd, sharp and commanding.

Sam's heart raced. The smile dropped on her face as she turned. Scarlett approached, flanked by Maya and Jenna, their eyes sparkling with mischief.

"Need a ride home?" Scarlett asked, an exaggerated sweetness gracing her tone.

"I, uh..." Sam glanced at the parking lot, her car an island in a sea of shiny vehicles. "I'm okay. I can wait for someone."

"Oh come on," Maya chimed in, her tone dripping with mock concern. "It's late, and who knows what kind of weirdos are out there? Right, Scarlett?"

Scarlett leaned closer, playful but calculating. "Let me help you out. You wouldn't want to chance it, would you? I promise I won't bite."

Sam hesitated, anxiety knotting in her stomach. But the thought of being alone outside sent waves of dread crashing in. Reluctantly, she nodded.

"Alright. Thanks."

Scarlett's grin widened.

As they climbed into Scarlett's sleek car, Sam could feel the heat radiating from Scarlett. The interior, infused with sweet perfume and an undercurrent of something sharp, created an unsettling ambiance. Sam buckled her seatbelt, the restraint feeling more like a trap than safety.

Scarlett turned the ignition and the engine roared to life. "What a fab party tonight, huh? Did you see Coach Willis when he was getting down on the dance floor?"

"Uh, yeah." Sam stared ahead, watching the familiar streets twist away. "I guess he was... vibing."

Scarlett chuckled, her laugh a melody sharp enough to cut. "Seriously, though. You should lighten up a bit, Sam. You've got to let loose!"

Sam shrugged, shifting in her seat. "Not really my thing."

The streetlights flickered as Scarlett zigzagged through the back roads. Sam squinted through the windshield.

"Is this... the way to my house?" Sam's brow furrowed. The scenery outside began to blur into unfamiliar territory.

Scarlett's fingers drummed playfully against the steering wheel. "Just trust me, darling. I know a shortcut." Her smile stretched, sharp and unsettling.

Unease prickled at the back of Sam's neck. "It doesn't look familiar."

"Maybe you need a girl's night out! You know, we could link up more often." Scarlett's tone danced between sweet and sinister, as if every word carried a hidden agenda.

"I... I have plans." Sam's voice wavered, uncertainty gnawing at her.

"Oh? With who? Those losers on the team?" Scarlett's laughter rang out like an alarm bell, her gaze flicking over with a predatory gleam. "How cute."

The car jerked slightly as Scarlett made a tight turn, the tires screeching against the pavement. Sam leaned back, her heart racing faster with every passing second. Panic crept in, tightening around her.

"Scarlett, I really think—"

"Shh." Scarlett cut her off, a finger raised playfully to her lips. "I've got a surprise for you."

"No more surprises, please. Just take me home."

"All good things come to those who wait, Sammi," Scarlett said, teasingly, yet a dark undercurrent twisted through her words.

Sam swallowed hard, instinctively reaching for the door handle, but the metallic click of the locks echoed ominously in her ears as Scarlett pressed a button.

"Scarlett—"

Suddenly, Scarlett whipped off her sunglasses, revealing an unsettling glee that sent daggers of fear through Sam. "Are you ready?"

"Ready for what?" Sam's voice peeped like a mouse caught in a trap.

Scarlett held up a mask, a dark object that shimmered under the car's lights. A sickening grin split her face. "To let the fun begin."

"What are you—"

A plume of gas burst from the air vents, enveloping Sam in a choking haze. She fought to breathe, the world around her fading into a blur. Scarlett's laughter sparkled through the mist, a twisted symphony that drowned out Sam's protests.

"Sweet dreams, Sam."

As Sam's vision twisted into black, the last image burned in her mind: Scarlett's eyes, the promise of something dark and dangerous lurking behind that predator's gaze.

The car came to a halt, silence rushing in as the music faded into the night, leaving only the hum of the engine and Scarlett's wicked giggles bouncing off the walls of her mind.

Darkness swallowed everything.

When Sam's consciousness slipped away, leaving a vacant space behind, it was just the beginning. In her absence, Scarlett sat back, satisfaction curling her lips. The night promised her all she desired, and she had no intention of letting it slip away.

"I'll show you how much I love you, Sammi."

The car rested in the stillness of the night, the stars above oblivious to the horrors unfurling below them, unaware of the twisted tale that hung in the air, poised to take a sinister turn.