Chapter 7

Chapter 7- I hate you, I love you

The locker room door slammed shut, echoing through the small space. Sam's back hit the cold metal lockers with a thud, her eyes wide with fear as Scarlett's face loomed inches from hers.

"You little bitch," Scarlett snarled, her fingers digging into Sam's shoulders. "How dare you steal my spotlight?"

Maya stood behind Scarlett, her arms crossed and a smirk playing on her lips. "Yeah, St. Onge. Who do you think you are?"

Sam's lower lip trembled. "I-I didn't mean to—"

"Shut up!" Scarlett's palm connected with Sam's cheek, the sharp crack reverberating through the room. "You don't get to speak."

Tears welled up in Sam's eyes, her cheek stinging from the slap. She tried to shrink away, but there was nowhere to go.

"You think you're so special, don't you?" Scarlett's voice dripped with venom. "Little miss perfect, swooping in to save the day."

"But I—"

"I said shut up!" Scarlett raised her hand again, but before she could strike, the locker room door burst open.

Coach Willis's gruff voice filled the space. "What the hell is going on in here?"

Scarlett immediately stepped back, her demeanor shifting instantaneously. "Nothing, Coach. We were just congratulating Sam on her catch."

Willis's eyes narrowed as he took in the scene. His gaze landed on Sam, still pressed against the lockers, tears streaming down her face.

"St. Onge! Quit your blubbering. You're embarrassing yourself and this team."

Sam hiccupped, trying to stifle her sobs. Hannah, who had slipped in behind the coach, rushed to her side.

"Coach, that's not fair. Sam just won us the game!"

Willis waved his hand dismissively. "One lucky catch doesn't make her a hero. Now, listen up, ladies. I've got an announcement."

The team gathered around, all eyes on the coach. Sam remained at the back, Hannah's arm protectively around her shoulders.

"We're going to Florida," Willis declared.

A chorus of cheers erupted from the team. Maya squealed, jumping up and down. "Oh my god, we're going to Florida!"

Scarlett, however, remained silent, her fists clenched at her sides. Her eyes never left Sam, who was trying to disappear into Hannah's embrace.

"Pack your bags and be ready," Willis continued. "We leave at 6 am sharp tomorrow. Anyone late gets left behind." His gaze lingered on Sam. "Got it, St. Onge?"

Sam nodded weakly, her voice barely above a whisper. "Yes, Coach."

As Willis left, the excitement in the room was palpable. Girls chattered about beaches and boys, already planning their free time. But for Sam, the prospect of a trip to Florida filled her with dread.

Hannah squeezed her shoulder. "Hey, it'll be okay. I'll be right there with you."

Sam managed a weak smile. "Thanks, Hannah. I don't know what I'd do without you."

Scarlett's voice cut through their moment. "Enjoy it while it lasts, St. Onge. Your little fairy tale won't last forever."

With that, she stormed out of the locker room, Maya hot on her heels. The rest of the team filtered out, leaving Sam and Hannah alone.

"Don't let her get to you," Hannah said, helping Sam gather her things. "She's just jealous."

Sam shook her head. "I don't understand why she hates me so much. What did I ever do to her?"