Chapter 38

Chapter 38- I found you~

The front door slammed open, its echo shattering the tense silence of the apartment.

Sam jumped, her heart wrenching as she twisted around. "James! Did you—"

Scarlett stood there, skin pale under messy blonde strands that clung like a wild halo. Hospital garb hung loosely, dirt smudged across her arms like finger paint. She smiled, and it sent a chill down Sam's spine.

"Miss me?" Scarlett asked, her voice sharp and mocking.

"Get out!" Sam backed away, her breath jagged. "You shouldn't be here! You're supposed to be in prison!"

Scarlett stepped forward, eyes gleaming with manic excitement. "Did you think a little thing like a prison could hold me back? I'm free, baby!"

James, who had been in the kitchen, reappeared, his grin faltering as he took in the scene. "Sam? What's going on? Who's—"

Sam's eyes widened. "James, run!"

But it was too late. Scarlett lunged, and before Sam could scream again, James's hand dropped to the small knife he kept in a kitchen drawer.

"I don't want any trouble, Scarlett," James said, voice steady despite the tremor in his hands. "Just leave."

"Such bravery," Scarlett laughed, a dissonant melody that tangled with the air. "But I always settle matters myself."

"Please!" Sam's voice rose, desperation seeping in. "You don't have to do this!"

With a flick of her wrist, Scarlett pulled a blade from her pocket, its edge glimmering with intent. "Oh, but I want to. This is just the beginning."

"No!" Sam lunged forward, trying to intervene, but the world twisted in slow motion as James moved to shield her.

"Get away from her!" he shouted, but Scarlett's speed was lethal.

The knife flashed once, and a sick crunch filled the room as James fell, eyes wide, shock dragging him to the floor.

Sam's scream ricocheted off the walls. "James! No! No!"

Scarlett turned, blade slick with crimson. She sauntered toward Sam, absence of remorse etched across her face.

"He was just a distraction. I need my girl back."

"Stay away from me!" Sam scrambled backward until her back hit the wall, breath hitching in panic.

Scarlett's smile broadened, a twisted satisfaction lighting her features. "Why do you think I'm here? I want you, Sam. Always."

"You're a monster!"

"Monsters chase after what they want," Scarlett purred, stepping closer, the knife glinting ominously in the dim light. "And I've always wanted you."

"Get away! I'm not going anywhere with you!" Sam's voice rose higher, desperation sparking to life.

"Oh, sweetie." Scarlett's chuckle rolled over the room like thunder. "You don't need to worry about that."

In a quick movement, Scarlett lunged, fingers wrapping around Sam's wrist. Pain shot through Sam as she was yanked out of her hiding spot.

"Let go!" Sam shouted, but Scarlett's grip tightened.

"You've been playing house here for too long. I'm here to take you home."

Panic swirled in Sam's gut. "I'm not going back to your sick games! You can't control me anymore!"

Scarlett paused, amusement glistening in her eyes. "Oh, sweet girl. You still don't understand, do you? You belong to me. I don't need to control you, I just need you. Look where you are now; a pretty little girl all alone."

"You can't scare me!" Sam shouted, though her voice wavered.

"Is that so?" Scarlett pulled Sam closer, the blade hovering dangerously near. "What if I cut loose your ties to this pathetic life? Who will help you then?"

"James!" Sam's voice cracked, the reminder of his lifeless body anchoring her grief to the pain. If only she could turn back time—if only she could—

But Scarlett's eyes gleamed like steel, and she leaned in, lips curling into a smirk. "Why? He couldn't save you, could he? He always thought himself some hero, but look where that got him."

"Stop it! Stop talking about him!"

Scarlett's laughter sliced through the air. "Oh, darling, where's the fun in that?"

With a sudden tug, Scarlett dragged Sam toward the door, the world beyond their threshold distorted by a blend of darkness and dread.

"Let go! Help! Someone help me!" Sam's cries burgeoned through the emptiness of the apartment, but echoes only returned her pleas, empty and mournful.

Scarlett paused, glancing at Sam, amusement dancing in her expression. "You're funny. I thought losing that leg would ground you a little more, but it seems the feisty fire is still in there."

"You're insane," Sam spat.

Scarlett sighed dramatically, her tone lilting into something far more sinister. "Everyone always says that until they realize they're mine in the end."

Sam twisted her wrist, pulling against Scarlett's iron grip. "You can't just—"

Scarlett clenched tighter, darkness spilling from her as she shoved Sam forward, an excited glint alighting her eyes. "We have so much to catch up on."

"Please, Scarlett! Don't!" Sam stumbled as dozens of thoughts tangled. She thought of her new life—the pizza nights, laughter with James, the warmth of friendship. She had found solace amidst the wreckage Scarlett had left behind.

Scarlett trailed behind, relentless and consumed by her own brand of madness.

"Come on, Sam. Let's reciprocate that trust! I have plans. Just you wait."

Sam's heart raced as they stepped through the door. The night cloaked them in shadows, Scarlett's laugh chilling the air like a harbinger.

Still, Sam's resolve fortified. "You're not winning. I'll find a way back!"

"Sweetheart," Scarlett cooed, gleeful eyes wide and alarming, "you just don't understand, once something is mine. They stay mine."

Sam is absolutely terrified as she blacks out