11

A:N This story includes themes of mental health and eating disorders, please only read if you feel ready too, you are beautiful always x

Today was the day.

I barely had any sleep because I was so restless, today was our first baby scan. My restlessness was prompted for two reasons; pure utter excitement and the dreading fear that something was wrong and it was out of my control to fix it.

I gasp loudly when I walk into the living room to see Rocky standing up on his phone completely unaided without his crutches.

Tears of pride well up in my eyes, "Oh my god. You're standing up on your own!"

He lets out a small laugh, "Am I? I thought I was just floating."

"I'm so fucking proud of you!" I cry out, "I think my heart is going to burst."

He sighs loudly, "You're so dramatic, I've been walking for nearly eighteen years now, you don't need to cry about it."

"Of course I need to cry about it, this is such an important milestone in your recovery." I beam at him, I glance around frantically before rooting in one of my drawers, I quickly pull out my polaroid camera and take a picture.

"Fuck." The chocolate brown haired man hisses out, "Why do you keep blinding me?"

"I wanted a keep-sake of your milestone."

"You're not allowed to do that with the baby, you'll actually blind them."

I wave my hand dismissively, "No, I'll make sure the flash is turned off for them."

"Oh so there was an option not to be blinded?"

I rock back and forth on my heels with a teasing grin, "I just think you look so pretty when there's a flash."

He gives me a look, "What did I tell you about compliments?"

"I told you, I can't always help it. My brain and my mouth aren't always friends, sometimes I feel like they're not even on the same planet."

"You're telling me." He mutters, "I've made your breakfast by the way."

My heart flutters dramatically as I tip-toe over to the kitchen island with a new fresh of tears sprouting, "You made me breakfast?"

"Your eyes really need to stop leaking."

"You made me breakfast!" I sniffle as I reach out and pull the plate closer towards me, "This is the sweetest thing. I can't believe you did this."

He gives me a strange look, "It's just breakfast, I'm not proposing to you, calm down."

I sniffle even louder as I take a bite, "And it tastes really good. I'm so thankful right now."

"I need to leave the room, the amount of emotion in here is making me super uncomfortable."

...

My leg begins it's usual anxious leg bounce as Rocky and I wait outside of the sonograms office. And almost right on que ten seconds after it starts, a large tattooed palm overs it.

"It's going to be okay."

Hot tears burn the corner of my eyes as anxiety plummets, "But we can't know that for sure until we go inside."

"You need to get these thoughts out of your head."

I shrug weakly, "Easier said than done."

His expression drops, "I know that. And I don't mean to come across as dismissive when I say that. I'm just not so good with the word stuff."

I put my palm over his making him freeze, "I know don't worry, I always know that your coming from a good place."

"Miss Scarlett Summers?"

I let out a shaky breath as Rocky moves to stand up with the use of his crutches but I'm completely frozen. I can't move not even an inch.

"Scarlett?" He asks quietly.

"I'm scared."

"Sunshine, you've got this."

The use of my childhood nickname and the genuine softness in this tone gives me the courage to stand up. I mutely follow him inside as he makes his way into the office.

The sonographer lazily places me a gown, "Put this on, I'll be back in a few minutes. I'll knock before entering."

Rocky shifts uncomfortably, "I'll just close my eyes, you do what you need to do."

My cheeks burn brightly as I quickly shuffle out of my clothes and put on the hospital gown. I clamp my legs shut as I sit myself down on the examination bed.

I let out a cough, "You can open your eyes now."

He waits a few second before removing the hands that were covering his eyes, "I gotta say, when I thought about having kids in the future, I never imagined I'd be covering my eyes when their mom had to get changed."

I laugh loudly his jokes helping to settle my unease, "I never thought the father would be covering his eyes either."

There's a small knock on the door before it swings open, the red haired woman gives me a brief smile before sitting down.

"From what I can see here, this is an early pregnancy scan?"

I nod as I feel my heart rate increase, "Yes."

Rocky grunts as he awkwardly moves his chair closer to me, almost as if he can sense my inner panic.

My eyes widen dramatically when she pulls out a long wand, on instinct I clamp my legs even tighter together.

"Jesus." Rocky breathes out, "Is that supposed to go inside of her?"

The woman laughs gently, "Yes, it's too early according to your records to have a external examination but I promise that it's completely safe and we make it as comfortable as possible for the mother."

"I don't think it'll fit inside of me." I squeak at my entire body flushing at this point.

"I promise it will be fine." She murmurs as she types on her mini computer and pulls out a tube, "I will lubricate the wand so that it causes minimal discomfort."

I clench my teeth as I nod dramatically, I place my legs onto the rests when she prompts me too. I can't help but feel extremely vunerable knowing that Rocky is beside me during this.

"Relax." He whispers lowly, "She knows that she's doing."

I wince uncomfortably, as the wand enters. But any type of fear, panic or discomfort disappears instantly when I hear a rapid heartbeat echoing the room. Tears roll down my cheeks when ultimate happiness waves through me. I turn to Rocky with a gaping expression, I've never seen him look like this before, it almost felt strange to see such pure and deep-rooted emotion planted onto his face.

"Oh my god." I croak out as I frantically look at the screen.

"If you look closely, you can see what may appear to be a small grey blob but it is actually your baby."

"It's so beautiful." I sob loudly, emotion overwhelming me.

"The heartbeat sounds really fast? Is that normal?" Rocky speaks up, his voice unusually hoarse.

The sonographer lets out a small laugh, "All completely normal. From what I can see here, everything looks completely healthy."

I finally breath properly for the first time in what felt like weeks.

"This is it." I whisper in awe, "We're actually having a baby."