I Need To Go

"I... I need to go," Jack said, his words hesitant but resolute.

Zack paused mid-lift, glancing at Jack out of the corner of his eye.

"To fix things with Alex?" Zack asked, his tone flat but laced with something Jack couldn't quite identify.

Jack nodded, swallowing hard.

"Yeah. I need to try." Jack said hesitantly.

Zack let the barbell rest in the cradle and sat up, wiping the sweat from his forehead with a towel.

"What's your plan?" he asked, his voice calm, though the tension between them was still palpable.

Jack shrugged, his expression uncertain.

"I don't really know... but I can't stay here. I have to do something. I have to try." Jack said anxiously.

Zack sighed, a mixture of frustration and resignation crossing his face.

"You better figure it out," he said, his voice softening slightly. "Like I said before...Alex isn't going to wait around forever."

Jack nodded, knowing Zack was right. Without another word, he turned and walked out of the gym. He knew he had to act fast; he couldn't let his fear paralyze him any longer.

As Jack made his way back to his empty hotel room, he felt a sense of urgency pulsing through him. He immediately started packing his things, throwing clothes and essentials into his suitcase with shaky hands. Once his bag was nearly full, he grabbed his phone and dialed Dean's number.

"Dean, it's me," Jack said the moment his brother answered. "I'm leaving. I'm booking a flight back to L.A. tonight." Jack said confidently.

There was a pause on the other end of the line, and then Dean's voice came through, filled with concern.

"Jack, are you sure about this? That's an insane plan. Maybe you should wait until tomorrow, think things through—" Dean said  calmly-Trying to make his brother see reason.

"I don't want to wait," Jack cut him off, his voice firm. "I can't. There's a flight leaving at 10 PM tonight. I need to be on it."

Dean sighed deeply, clearly trying to process Jack's sudden decision.

"You know the flight back to L.A. is five hours, right? You'll be there at 3 AM." Dean said- exasperated.

"I don't care," Jack replied, a note of desperation in his voice. "I just need to be there. I have to find Alex."

Dean was silent for a moment.

"Okay. I'm coming over to your room. I want to at least see you off and make sure you get to the airport safely." Dean said with a sigh.

Jack let out a heavy breath, feeling a mix of relief and frustration.

Jack checked his phone as it was buzzing non stop while he was on the phone with Dean.

Mom: What did you do Jack Barakat? 😡

Mom: I raised you better than this. I raised you to be kind and respect peoples emotions.😡

Mom: Zack is your best friend and Alex clearly likes you a lot. You ruined both of those boys. 🥺

Mom: I am coming to your room.

Jack groaned.

"YOU TOLD MOM!?" Jack exclaimed.

"She went to your room looking for you and Alex because she wanted to take you to dinner or something....and saw me in there after you left and I explained a little.You know how she is... she is scary when she wants info. She is a therapist." Dean said a bit sheepishly