You're In My Side Of Town Now

As they left the driveway, Jack instinctively walked towards his car as he assumed they would drive.

Alex tightened his grip on Jack's hand and redirected him towards the sidewalk leading away from Alex's house.

Jack followed, curiously-but didn't protest as he trusted Alex and wasn't going to turn down a late morning walk with him.

"So, where are we going?" Jack asked.

Alex didn't answer immediately, just kept walking down the street, pulling Jack along with him. Jack's heart flipped over itself at the casual way they walked hand in hand, something he had secretly longed for but never expected so soon.

He knew it was probably to direct him in the correct direction but he was taking it as a win.

The morning sun was warm, and the breeze was light, making everything feel almost too perfect, like a scene from a dream.

"Alex?" Jack prompted again, more curious now than concerned.

Alex just giggled and shook his head, his brown hair still slightly damp from his shower.

"You'll find out soon enough," Alex teased, his eyes sparkling with mischief.

"You're in my side of town now." Alex said playfully as he bumped shoulders with Jack.

Jack couldn't help but smile at that. Alex was right—Jack rarely ventured this far from campus unless he was exploring a well-known tourist spot or chasing a scenic view he found online.

This part of LA was new to him, a neighborhood he'd never had reason to visit until now. He only found it last night because of his GPS. He barely knew how he got there. It made everything feel fresh and exciting, like an adventure Alex was leading him on.

They walked for a few more minutes, the conversation light and comfortable, before they arrived at a small coffee shop nestled between two unassuming buildings. Alex dropped Jack's hand as they approached(much to Jack's disappointment).

Jack could immediately tell this place was special to Alex. The moment they walked in, everyone greeted Alex warmly, with high-fives, hugs, and cheerful shouts. It was clear he was well-known here, and Jack found himself watching with amusement as Alex interacted with everyone like they were family.

The café was cozy, with wooden tables and mismatched chairs, giving it a homely, lived-in vibe. Jack watched the interactions with a fond smile, realizing Alex had probably worked here at some point, or currently does.

Jack remembered Alex mentioning a part-time job to help pay for school, and it all clicked into place.

As they made their way to the counter, Jack noticed a girl with bright pink hair behind it, her eyes narrowing as she spotted him. Jack was trying to look at the menu in the wall- but was nervous as he felt eyes staring at him.

The girl gave him a glare that made him shift uncomfortably, feeling suddenly out of place.

Alex, oblivious to the tension, asked Jack what he wanted.

"Uhhhh. Shit. I didn't think about it. I want coffee that's all I know." Jack said nervously.

Alex giggled.

"Want me to choose for you? I know this menu very intimately." Alex joked.

Jack chuckled and nodded his head as he looked at Alex.

"Yes. Please Surprise me." Jack replied, trying to keep his tone light.

"This is your side of town, after all." Jack said a bit flirtatiously.