CHAPTER 17

Hello, sweetheart; I hope you are doing well. I am just uploading the chapter; I didn't go through it again after editing; just ignore it if you see mistakes. Also, you can tell me, and I can change it.

_____________________

THE HOSPITAL ROOM - EARLY MORNING

The sterile white of the hospital room presses down on Namjoon as he stands beside Jungkook's bed. It is dark, with an unduly faint light from the morning sun, struggling through the blinds.

There is the smell of the thick air melding with the faint acrid odor of medicine and cleansers. From a distance, the machines beeped steadily, giving an eerie reverberation to this delicate state, perched between life and death.

His eyes are shining red, dark rings the colour of shadows sketched beneath them, as though he'd been hallowed out by sleepless nights. He has not left Jungkook alone.

His suit wrinkled; his tie loosened, perhaps forgotten amidst the chaos. One thought seems to keep recurring in his mind-the tense exchange that happened last night between him, Sana, Taehyung, and Jin, a confrontation that leaves a bitter taste in his mouth.

The only sound in the room was the still silence, broken by the soft, rhythmic beeping of the heart monitor.

At the soft creek of an opening door, Namjoon snaps out of his haze. The doctor strides in with his usual expression calm, yet serious in a no-nonsense attitude. He sorts through the chart, fingers drumming against the clipboard in a deliberate rhythm before he speaks, pained but relieved with the hint of ear-weariness in his voice. "He's stable; the worst is behind him. He needs to rest.".

Namjoon slackens, letting his shoulders roll forward, and releases a breath that made his lungs hurt; he didn't realize he'd been holding it. The relief allows an escape, though it's tinged now with a gnawing unease, this is but a brief respite from the storm brewing beyond.

This is when the doctor has left the room, and Namjoon catches that flicker of a movement: Jungkook's fingers twitch-the slightest of indications that he is fighting his way back to consciousness. Leaning closer, Namjoon peers through Jungkook's face for more responsive signs. "Kook?" he calls, the voice tight but soft.

Jungkook's eyelids flicker, and the strained lift is evident under the weight of his exhaustion and pain. His gaze is unfocused at first, lolling before finally settling on Namjoon. "Hyung..." he breathes out, his voice so weak, cracked like brittle glass.

Namjoon's heart squeezes at the sound. He lays a hand softly over Jungkook's, feeling the faint grip as Jungkook tries to hold onto him. "Don't strain yourself. You have to rest now. You're safe."

Jungkook's brow furrows, lines etching onto his face as he fights to piece together the fragments of memory. He attempts to lift his hand higher and can only manage to tremble. A wave of tension rushes through his body, and this time, Namjoon tightens his grip, offering what little strength he can.

"I'm here," Namjoon whispers, his voice coated in reassurance and desperation: he can see the turmoil swirling behind Jungkook's glassy eyes, ghosts of everything that has happened still haunting him. But even as sleep drags heavily at Jungkook's eyelids like liquid concrete, his eyes hold onto that storm, refusing to let it go.

Eventually, exhaustion wins out. Jungkook's eyes drift shut, his breathing evening out as sleep reclaims him. Namjoon lingers by the bedside, watching as the tension slowly bled away to leave behind only the peaceful rise and fall of Jungkook's chest.

But Namjoon knows how peace doesn't last. His phone buzz inward, breaking the stillness. Glances down.

Any updates?