Chapter 2

*5 Years later*

It’s been five years since that eventful prom night. Alex and I are still best friends and go to the same college. Boston University. I got a baseball scholarship and Alex got an academic one. Her and Tyler are still going strong and I’m happy because she’s happy. It’s not like I hate Tyler. He’s a good guy and in Medical school. But regardless it’s like he’s taking my best friend from me more and more.

Like last night, I went to a club and asked Alex to be my wing girl. Yes it’s douchey but for some reason when girls see a guy that’s taken it makes them want him more. Beats me. But anyway she couldn’t go because her and Ty were having a movie night. Boring. So I had to go alone and now I’m in some random chicks dorm room trying to find my clothes before she...

“Morning Niall.”

“Good Morning.” I don’t remember her name. Damn.

“I’m going to make breakfast.” The girl with red hair walks to her kitchen.

I jump out of her bed and try to find all of my clothes. God took me long enough. Once I’m dressed my phone rings. What is is now?

“Hello?” I answer tying up my shoes.

“Hey Ni. Where are you? We’re supposed to have breakfast together.” It’s Alex and relief washes over me.

“I’m um...” Just then redhead walks in with food. “‘I’m on my way home babe. Yup the business meeting lasted longer than needed.”

“Wow Niall this is low even for you!” Alex laughs on the other end and I nod.

“Yup I love you too. See you in a little bit.” I look up at the redhead and she looks pissed.

“You have a girlfriend! Get out!” I shuffle out her door and make my way to the campus cafe.

I am almost at the cafe when I see Alex sitting at a bench. Her back is turned to me but I know it’s her. I creep behind her and right when I’m about to scare her she faces me.

“Nice try Niall.” She laughs before taking a bit out of her breakfast sandwich.

“What gave it away this time?” I ask taking the seat across from her.

“You stepped on a branch behind me and you started breathing heavily because you were holding your breath for too long.” She shrugs.

“Whatever. I will get you one of these days. So how was movie night with Tyler?”

“It was fun. We watched the Avengers.” She smiles and I try not to throw up what I’m eating.

“That’s good.”

“Yeah. I know you had a good time last night.” She nudges my knee with hers under the table.

“I didn’t even remember her name Alex!” We both start laughing drawing attention that neither of us minded.

“Wow Nialler! That’s low! Even for you.”

“I know! And she kicked me out when she thought you were my girlfriend.” I laugh some more.

“I would have kicked you out too. Oh you’re mom called me.”

“Why would she call you?” I mean she’s my mom couldn’t she at least call her son.

“Because I’m the daughter she always wanted and she wanted me to remind you about the dinner tonight.”

“Shit! I forgot.”

“Exactly why she called me.” Alex rolls her eyes and i pinch her hand causing her to hit me.

My mom has been dating this guy for awhile now and she wants me to meet him. The only problem is I don’t want to meet him. I usually come up with a lie so she has to push it off but this time I can’t.

“I really don’t want to go.” I groan putting my head on the table.

“I know you don’t and that’s why I’m going with you so you don’t have to be alone.” My head snaps up and my eyes meet Alex’s.

“Seriously! You’ll do that for me?”

“Of course I will. What are best friends for?” She smiles and get up from my seat and walk around to her giving her a hug.

“Thanks babe!”

“No problem boo.”

To most people it would look like Alex and I are together but we’re not. We’ve never tried the dating thing. But our friendship works for us and that’s all that matters. She pulls away and gives my cheek a peck.

“I have to go to class but I will see you tonight.”

“Ok. Bye.” I wave and Alex leaves.

Well if Alex is there, tonight won’t suck. Hopefully.