019

The late afternoon sun filtered through the curtains of Thomas's living room, casting a soft, warm light across the space. Lily was curled up on the couch, her feet tucked beneath her, flipping through one of the many books Thomas had lent her. It was one of those lazy days where nothing pressing needed to be done, so they had decided to stay in and just enjoy each other's company.

Thomas was in the kitchen, humming to himself as he made them a snack. He had insisted on trying out a new recipe he'd found online—a chocolate cake that supposedly took only a few minutes to bake in a mug. Lily wasn't entirely convinced it would turn out well, but the thought of Thomas being excited about it made her smile.

"Hey, Lily!" Thomas called from the kitchen. "Almost done. You want ice cream with it?"

Lily looked up from her book, her face lighting up at the thought. "You know me too well. Of course, I do!"

She could hear Thomas chuckling as he moved around the kitchen, and it wasn't long before he emerged with two steaming mugs. He handed one to Lily, then settled down beside her, the couch dipping slightly under his weight. They sat close, their legs touching as they each took their first bite.

Lily's eyes widened in surprise. "Thomas, this is actually really good!"

Thomas beamed, clearly proud of himself. "I told you! Never doubt my culinary skills, Lil."

She laughed, nudging him playfully with her elbow. "Alright, alright. You win this one." She took another bite, savoring the warm, gooey cake. It was moments like these—simple, quiet moments—that made her realize how much she treasured her time with Thomas. He had a way of making the ordinary feel extraordinary.

As they ate, Lily leaned her head on Thomas's shoulder, feeling completely content. He wrapped an arm around her, pulling her closer, and they sat there in comfortable silence for a while, enjoying the warmth of each other's presence. Eventually, Lily set her empty mug down on the coffee table and turned to look at Thomas.

"What?" he asked, noticing the way she was gazing at him.

"Nothing," she replied softly, her eyes full of affection. "Just thinking about how much I like this."

Thomas's heart skipped a beat at her words. He never got tired of hearing her say things like that. He tilted her chin up gently so she was looking right at him, and pressed a tender kiss to her lips. It was slow and sweet, filled with the unspoken promise of many more moments like this to come.

"I'm glad you're here," Thomas murmured against her lips before pulling back slightly to meet her eyes.

They stayed like that for a while, just holding each other, basking in the warmth and security that came from being with someone who made you feel truly at home. Eventually, Thomas shifted slightly, a playful glint in his eyes.

"Wanna watch a movie?" he asked.

Lily grinned. "Only if I get to pick."

Thomas pretended to think about it for a moment before nodding. "Deal."

She grabbed the remote and scrolled through the options, finally settling on one of their favorite rom-coms. As the opening credits started rolling, she nestled back into Thomas's side, her head resting comfortably on his chest. He draped a blanket over them, his fingers absentmindedly running through her hair.

The movie played on, but for Lily, it was just background noise. What mattered most was the way she felt right then—safe, happy, and completely at peace. Every so often, Thomas would lean down to kiss her forehead or whisper something silly in her ear, making her giggle.

As the movie neared its end, Lily found herself drifting off, the combination of Thomas's warmth and the cozy atmosphere making her feel drowsy. She closed her eyes, letting herself relax completely, knowing she was right where she belonged.

Thomas noticed her growing still and glanced down, smiling at the sight of her fast asleep against him. He carefully reached for the remote, lowering the volume so it wouldn't wake her. Then he settled back, his heart full as he watched her sleep, the steady rise and fall of her breathing a comforting rhythm.

It was in moments like these that Thomas felt the full weight of how much Lily meant to him. She was his best friend, his partner, the one who knew him better than anyone else. He couldn't imagine his life without her in it.

Pressing a soft kiss to the top of her head, Thomas whispered, "Sweet dreams, Lil."

He stayed there, holding her close, long after the movie had ended, content to simply be with her. Because as long as they were together, everything felt perfect.