Packing for Trouble

Alexander's pov

The city lights stretched out before me as I stepped into the penthouse, the vast windows offering a sweeping view of the skyline. Normally, this sight grounded me, reminding me of what I'd built and what was at stake. But tonight, it did little to quell the unease that had settled in my chest since that confrontation with Nova.

I shrugged off my suit jacket, draping it over the back of a chair as I headed toward the bedroom. The penthouse was immaculate, as always-precisely arranged, with everything in its proper place. Yet as I opened the walk-in closet and began pulling out clothes, there was an edge to my movements, a sense of something unfinished.

The trip was necessary-there was no doubt about that. The situation overseas was delicate, and it required someone with the right mix of authority and finesse. I knew I could handle it, but taking Nova with me... That was the part that gnawed at me.

I tossed a few shirts into the suitcase, followed by a selection of ties and suits. Each item was carefully chosen, appropriate for the high-stakes meetings we'd be facing. But as I packed, my mind kept drifting back to her. Nova. The way she had stood in my office, fiercely defending her autonomy, her eyes blazing with defiance. It was a side of her I'd seen before, but today it had struck me differently.

She was right, of course. I should have informed her about the trip before dumping it on her like a fait accompli. But damn it, this wasn't just about business. Nova was the only person I could rely on to handle things with the same precision and ruthlessness that I demanded from myself. She was essential, not just because she was my secretary, but because she understood how I operated-sometimes better than I did.

As I folded a few more items and placed them in the suitcase, I couldn't shake the memory of her standing in front of that board member, ready to tear him apart for his disrespect. She had fire, and it was that fire that made her invaluable. But it was also what made her so damn difficult to manage.

I grabbed a pair of shoes from the shelf, placing them carefully in the suitcase next to the clothes. There was something about this trip that felt different, more personal, and I didn't like it. I was used to controlling every aspect of my life-both business and personal. Yet Nova had a way of slipping through those controls, challenging me in ways that no one else dared.

I ran a hand through my hair, standing back for a moment to assess the packing job. Satisfied, I moved to the bathroom, gathering the essentials-razor, toothbrush, cologne. As I placed them into the small travel bag, I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror.

There was a hardness in my eyes, the same look I'd perfected over years of climbing to the top. But tonight, there was something else-an edge of uncertainty that I rarely allowed myself to acknowledge. Nova was part of that, a wild card in a game I usually played with precision. She made me question things I'd long taken for granted, and that was as infuriating as it was intriguing.

I zipped up the travel bag and returned to the bedroom, placing it in the suitcase. As I did, I couldn't help but wonder how this trip would unfold. The stakes were high, and I needed everything to go perfectly. But with Nova along, there was always the possibility of chaos, of something unpredictable throwing a wrench into the works. And yet, that unpredictability was exactly why I needed her.

With a final glance at the suitcase, I snapped it shut, locking away the last of the necessities. The clothes, the shoes, the essentials-they were all ready. But mentally, I wasn't sure if I was prepared for what lay ahead.

This trip was going to test more than just my business acumen. It was going to test my patience, my control, and my ability to manage the one person who refused to be managed.