Breaking the Rules

Nova's pov

After a grueling day of meetings, the kind where every word is measured and every gesture calculated, I felt the weight of the day pressing down on me like a lead blanket. The entire time, I had played my part to perfection, effortlessly balancing my sharp wit with just enough professionalism to keep the clients intrigued. But now that it was over, the tension that had been coiling inside me all day needed a release.

Alexander and I returned to the hotel in silence, the air between us thick with the unsaid. His usual composure was cracking-just a little-but enough that I could see it in the tight line of his jaw, the way his eyes flicked towards me with a mix of frustration and something else he refused to acknowledge. Good. Let him stew in it.

As soon as we reached our respective rooms, I dropped my bag on the bed and kicked off my heels, relishing the sensation of cool air on my sore feet. But there was no time to relax. My mind was buzzing, replaying the day's events over and over. Something had been off with those clients-the way they looked at me, the way they spoke with too many empty promises. And then there were those sidelong glances they exchanged when they thought no one was looking. Something about it didn't sit right with me.

The more I thought about it, the more certain I became that they were playing us. And if there's one thing I can't stand, it's being underestimated.

I waited for a good hour, listening for any sign that Alexander was settled in his room, before I slipped back into my heels, grabbed my purse, and quietly left my hotel room. The hallway was deserted, the quiet only broken by the soft hum of the air conditioning. I headed straight for the elevators and pressed the button for the ground floor.

The city outside was a blur of lights and sounds as I walked through the hotel lobby and out into the night. The cool evening air was a welcome contrast to the stifling atmosphere of the hotel, and I took a deep breath as I made my way down the street to a pub I had noticed earlier. It was just far enough from the hotel to avoid running into anyone I knew, but close enough that I could make it back quickly if needed.

When I entered the pub, the smell of cheap beer and fried food hit me, mingling with the low murmur of conversations and the occasional burst of laughter. It wasn't the kind of place you'd expect to find corporate types, but sure enough, there they were-the very clients we'd been meeting with earlier today. They were seated in a booth near the back, drinks in hand, looking far too pleased with themselves.

I made my way to the bar, keeping a safe distance so they wouldn't notice me. Ordering a glass of whiskey, I sat at the far end, angling myself so I could watch them without being too obvious. As I took out my phone, I switched on the voice recorder app, setting it discreetly on the bar next to my drink.

Their conversation was already in full swing, and as I listened, my suspicions were confirmed.

"Did you see that dress? Jesus, if only our assistants looked like that," one of them said, his voice slurred with alcohol. "I couldn't focus on anything she was saying. I just kept imagining what's underneath."

Another one laughed, a deep, grating sound that made my skin crawl. "Alexander's one lucky bastard, that's for sure. Too bad she's just window dressing-he probably hired her just to keep his eyes entertained during meetings."

The third man leaned forward, lowering his voice just enough that I had to strain to hear. "You think we're really going through with that deal? Fuck no. We'll string them along, get what we need, and then ditch 'em. They're desperate, and we can get a better deal elsewhere."

The first one laughed again. "Still, wouldn't mind another meeting or two with her. Maybe next time she'll wear something even more... distracting."

My blood boiled with every word they said. I gripped my glass so tightly I thought it might shatter. These men weren't just disrespecting me-they were underestimating Alexander, playing him for a fool. And they thought they could get away with it because they believed I was nothing more than eye candy.

I stopped the recording, my heart pounding in my chest, a mix of anger and adrenaline fueling my next move. I was done playing nice.

Pushing away from the bar, I strode across the pub with a determination that silenced the chatter around me. When I reached their table, I didn't hesitate. I grabbed the collar of the nearest man, yanking him up and out of the booth with a strength that surprised even me. His drink spilled across the table, the glass shattering on the floor.

The other two scrambled to their feet, but they weren't quick enough. I shoved the first man to the ground, stepping on his chest with my stiletto heel, pressing just hard enough to make him wince. The others froze, wide-eyed, unsure of what the hell was happening.

"You listen to me, you pathetic excuses for businessmen," I hissed, my voice low and deadly calm. "You're going to sign that partnership deal with Alexander, and you're going to do it without any of the bullshit you just spewed here. If you don't, I will personally make sure your company burns to the ground. And believe me, I can do it."

They looked at me like I was insane, but I could see the fear creeping into their eyes, the dawning realization that they had seriously miscalculated.

"Do we have an understanding?" I pressed harder with my heel, and the man on the ground gasped, nodding frantically.

"Y-yes, yes! We'll sign it, just... just get off me!"

I held his gaze for a moment longer, then finally stepped back, letting him scramble to his feet. The three of them exchanged terrified glances, and I could see the cogs turning in their alcohol-addled brains as they tried to figure out how to salvage the situation.

Without another word, I turned on my heel and walked out of the pub, leaving them to pick up the pieces of their shattered egos. The cool night air hit me again as I made my way back to the hotel, the adrenaline slowly wearing off, replaced by a deep sense of satisfaction.

I didn't stop until I was outside Alexander's door. I knocked sharply, waiting until I heard the sound of footsteps on the other side. When the door opened, he stood there, looking at me with a mix of confusion and concern. Before he could say anything, I pulled out my phone, pressing it into his hand.

"Your welcome," I said simply, watching his face as he took the phone, his brow furrowing as he tried to understand what was happening.

Then, without another word, I turned and walked back to my room, a satisfied smirk tugging at my lips. Let him figure it out. I had done my part.

Tomorrow would be interesting, to say the least.