Warmth of childhood

Mehreen's POV

I always knew men aren't attracted to me the way they are to those sleek looking woman.

People say am curvy but I know my flabby stomach, hip dips and stretch marks aren't that appealing and last night the rejection from him made me doubt my dignity.

He stopped after looking at my breast were they that bad ?
Or was I that sore to eyes?

Some where I had this little thought that he might be interested in me but who am I kidding he made it clear last night.

I was mad to even think that in this marriage there is space for the feeling but how can I forget we married for the sake of Liyana and feelings here don't exist.

Then why did he have me all those mixed signals it's been 8 months since we got married and there were times I genuinely thought that he started liking me, I was just being delusional.

"Baaji!!! Baaji!!!" Human's voice brings me out of my train of thoughts,

"We are here!! But are you sure you wanna meet dadima I mean after what happened".

"Humna come on it's been a long time and am married now and we clearly know me and Salman was never meant to be it wasn't like we had feelings for each other". The only feelings we had was dislike for each other which our families kind of decided to ignore.

"Now come on let's go we need to meet dadima and go home early, Liyana will be waiting for me".

I walk in to the place where I have been millions of times in my life but it still feels so alien to me.

"Oh look who decided to grace us with their presence!!! What are you doing here Mehreen?" Sobia asks me with disgust written in her face. I clearly don't know what her problem is with me.

"Am here to meet dadima and I have zero intentions to hold a conversation with you so let's not have a word".

"Oh look at you!!! You are at my place and talking to me as you own it, you are just married to Kabir khan  and I really don't understand what did he even saw in you to marry you, or may be you are just a good nanny to his daughter!!!"

"Sobia behave!!!!" Salman walks in to the foyer and stands in between me and Sobia.

"Hi Mehreen it's been long time how are you?" This man is literally gawking at me as if he has never seen me at all.

"Hi and we are here to see dadi ma".

"Sure come I will take you there".

"I know the way Salman I can manage come humna".

I walk with humna as far as possible from this douche bag.

"Hey look who graced us with their presence" zoha bhabhi hugs me and humna.

"Hello bhabhi and where is Arshad bhai?"

"He went to office now come let's go to dadima she has been beaming since I told her that you might visit her".

"Asalamualalikum dadima!!!!" I walk into the room and it takes a lot for me to not cry cause this woman who is now resting on bed was the strongest woman I have ever known.

She always made sure I never missed out on the love of grand mother after my own dadi passed away.

"Walaikumasalam oh my look who came!!!"

"How are you dadima ?oh I missed you!!!" I hug her after helping her to sit she still smells like the warmth and her favorite gulab ittar.

"Is that why you have visited me so frequently". Ouch!! This lady might look ill but her glib tongue will never leave.

"Well yes am sorry that was my mistake and it wasn't that I don't want to I was just busy with work, wedding , parenting and responsibilities".

"How are you mehru....you are happy right?" I see tears glistening in her eyes.

"Of course I am, actually a little more happy that I met you today".

"You really look like my mehru....." well I was kinda named after my granny her name was meherunnisa.

"And that's the best compliment so far". I kiss back of her hand.

"So!! Tell me how that khan lad you married is he taking care of you or is he bothering you".

"He is good dadima he is a good son, and a very good father".

"Is he a good husband mehru?"

Before can I answer her question we were interrupted by a very warm voice which I would recognise even in my dreams.

"Asalamualalikum!!!"

I turn around to find my husband standing in the doorway in all his glory.

"What are you doing here?"
He walks towards dadi ma kisses her back of the hand and asks her well being.

"I asked what are you doing here?" I ask him clenching my teeth and smiling simultaneously.

He holds my hand and says "I was missing you! You were gone by the time I got up and I thought we decided to visit dadi ma together".

I look at dadi ma who was happy looking at me and Kabir.

"Mehreen look I bought your favourite cookies" and we were again interrupted by someone not so important Aka Salman.

"Oh hi Mr. Salman I thought you had meeting today with the contractor today at my office".

"Well I actually had and I rescheduled it as I had something important to tend today".

"Humna and Mehreen go and have something now I anyways need to rest and Mehreen keep visiting me beta and you young man take care of my granddaughter I didn't spare my own grandson when he hurt her and I certainly will not spare you as well".

I look at her and then at Kabir and the at Salman what did he receive as punishment from dadima well zoha bhabhi did mention that he was well punished for his antiques.

As I was walking out Kabir was led by zoha bhabhi and Abida aunty who magically appeared when Kabir came.

"Mehreen wait" I was stopped by Salman.

"What?" He suddenly held my hand .

"What are you doing?, leave Salman".

"I am sorry am actually regretful for whatever I have done to you, if only I could go back in time, and redo we would be married by now may be happily".

"Well that's your misconception because we both know we were marrying cause of family if not cause of that reason your mother and sister would have find something else to break it off," he smiles nodding his head which I clear want to break it.

"Now let my hand go!!"

"Are you happy?"

"What kind of question is that and why does it even concern you, just leave my hand"

"You don't look happy I that marriage Mehreen he married you cause he gets a mother to his daughter but what about you? You deserve happiness too".

"Salman leave am actually very happy with him and it's me who wanted to be mother to Liyana so leave Salman"

"Look at you lying through the teeth your eyes they have dark circles and you look tired".

What stupid reason is he making up and before I could chide him.

"That's cause she hasn't slept well last night". Kabir informs snaking one of  his hand around my waist and using his other to take my hand out of Salman's.