OLI & NONI

" You're not going to make me a plate?"

I walked into the house to find Noni dishing up for the kids. It was my first day back home and back from my new job. It was not as good as when I was coaching the previous basketball team because I did not know anybody there as well as I knew Sal, Simi and Jan and Pres but I did receive a warm welcome which was a huge contrast to what I received here at home.

" I'm sure you can cook for yourself."

She said putting the dirty, empty pots in the sink and avoiding eye contact with me.

" I thought we were fixing ou-"

" The judge ordered that we go to therapy and you move in, they said nothing about me cooking for you or cleaning for you or doing your laundry."

Noni angrily interjected while putting emphasis on judge.

" They may force me to live in the same house with you and go to therapy with you but they can't force me to do anything else. As soon as this six months are over I'm getting the divorce."

The tension in the room was thick enough to cut with a knife. I stood there, my heart pounding in my chest. This wasn't the welcome I had hoped for. I took a deep breath, trying to keep my composure.

"I'm not asking for much, Noni,"

I said, my voice steadier than I felt.

"I just thought you'd at least be willing to help us adjust to living together again. It's not easy for me either."

"Help us? Let's not make it seem like you care about our marriage, you're only here because your mistress ran away with your money and you lost your job."

Her words hit me like a punch to the gut, each accusation clearer and more painful than the last. I could feel the heat of shame creeping up my neck, my hands instinctively clenching into fists at my sides. For a moment, I didn't know how to respond. Noni's anger was palpable, radiating off her like heat from a flame.

"I get it,"

I finally managed to say, my throat dry.

"I did things that hurt you, and I don't expect you to forgive me overnight but I'm still your wife, and this—"

I gestured between us, the kitchen filled with tension and resentment.

"This is our home."

"It was our home,"

she snapped,

"before you decided to tear it apart. The judge can order us to live here, but it doesn't change what you did. I have every right to be angry."

"I know you do,"

I agreed, wanting nothing more than to bridge this chasm between us.

"I've spent nights thinking about how I could fix this. I want to be here. For you, for the kids..."

"Spare me the speech,"

she retorted, her voice rising.

"You made your choice. You chose her, and then you came crawling back when things went south. Don't pretend this is about us or our family when it's really about you and your guilt."

The silence that followed was deafening. The clattering of dishes in the background only emphasized the rift that had formed. I shifted my weight, trying to find the right words—a way to connect, to express that I was trying to change.

"Can't we just start with baby steps?"

I suggested, my voice softer now.

"I'm not asking for love or forgiveness right away. Just... a chance. A chance to prove that I can be a better woman. For you and the kids."

Noni looked away, her face a mixture of pain and anger. After a moment, she huffed out a bitter laugh.

"You think that's enough? You think just saying 'I want to do better' can mend what you broke? You really don't know how this works, do you?"

"I'm trying, Noni!"

I replied, my own frustration creeping in.

"I've lost everything, including you. I want to change, but I can't do it alone. We need to meet somewhere in the middle."

She paused, her gaze still fixed on the sink.

"You want to meet in the middle? Fine. Just know that there's no guarantee I'll ever meet you there."

Disappointed, I took a step back, feeling the weight of her words. Maybe I had underestimated the walls she had built around herself after everything.

"Alright,"

I said carefully.

"I'll respect your space but I'll be here. For the kids, and for you. Whether you want me or not."

Noni turned away again, her shoulders tense. I could hear the rustling of the kids in the other room, laughing and oblivious to the tempest brewing just outside.