Seb's Letter to Anne

(Between Chapters Fourteen and Fifteen)

My dear sister,

I was too late. I was stupid. I was a coward. I was utterly arrogant. I thought she would wait for me. I thought they both would.

I suppose I should start from the beginning.

I lied to you. Or at least, I let you think what you wanted to think. I never talked to Rachel over the summer. I didn't talk to either of them. I was afraid. I thought they'd talk me out of trying to find you or try to come with me and I didn't want to be distracted. I wanted to find my sister... so I cut off all communication.

I knew if I didn't, I wouldn't be able to stand it! I would have to be near her... to smell her and touch her. I knew if I told them of my plans, I would change my mind and stay. With her. So, I left.

And now I'm too late. They've moved on. Together. I saw them. In the halls. Holding each other. Kissing. The connection between them radiated from them like bright sunshine after a cloudy storm. They seemed.... Happy.

I thought they would wait. I thought she would wait for me. I was so unbelievably naïve to think that someone like Rachel would remain unattached until I came to my senses. And Ominis! I know he knew how I felt... he had to have known! I feel so betrayed by them. And I have no right to. I did this. I left. They found solace in each other.

Perhaps this is my punishment for all the horrible things I've put everyone through... perhaps I'm supposed to feel this crushing loneliness and pain as restitution for killing my uncle. Perhaps this is what I deserve.

I never should have returned. Everyone would be far better off without me around making things awkward. Every time I see them together, my stomach turns. Every time I think of them together, touching, laughing, kissing! I feel as though I could be sick, and my chest hurts with the crushing weight of it.

I'll never love again. Never!

I hope you are well, Anne. I miss you so much that I may scrap this whole thing and just come home to Wales. To you.

Your devoted brother,

Sebastian

--

--

😭😭😭