Boys Will Be Boys

(In the middle of Chapter Fifteen)

*Warning: This chapter contains a scene of physical violence.*

Ominis' Perspective

As I sat at my desk, trying to complete my Arithmancy homework, my mind wandered.

Rachel was so cute earlier today, jibing me in the hallway, tossing her lavender scented hair over her shoulder and making it waft my way. She always had this way of arousing me without even realizing it.

I chuckled. I still couldn't believe that we were together. My plans had come to fruition and we were together. At least, for now. Since a certain someone reappeared in the castle, it was like there was this shadow of darkness that was slowly creeping in between us.

A few days ago, I remembered, while we were sitting on a bench, discussing our charms homework and chatting lightly, I noticed how the soft fall breeze made her hands chilly and I pressed my warm lips to them in hopes of generating heat for her. I could feel her body flush at my touch. We were enjoying each other's company very much. Her breath steady. Her warm body so near mine. Her scent enveloped my senses.

And then, he walked by. Her heart rate literally accelerated. And her hand twitched in mine. She cleared her throat audibly and then changed the subject, even though I had lost track of what we were even talking about.

Little moments like that kept happening, forcing me to start facing the truth. She wasn't in love with me. At least, not in the same way I was with her. If he hadn't returned...

Just then, the dorm door opened. I heard his bag slump down to the floor near his bed. Yes, it was him. That familiar oceanic scent of his overdosed cologne wafted my way as I heard him sigh. I kept my nose in my parchment, trying to get back to work.

Suddenly, I felt his presence behind me.

"Here. Thanks." He uttered quietly while dropping some parchments on my desk. A cursory roam of my wand let me know it was the notes I let him borrow from the missing classes he had absconded from at the beginning of the year.

"No problem. I hope they were helpful."

"Yeah. They were fine."

Ok. So, that wasn't terrible. Almost a whole conversation. I sighed as I sorted through the parchments and placed them with my respective subjects so I wouldn't get confused later when trying to figure out where everything belonged.

"So... um. How're things?" He asked timidly.

Interesting. A new tack.

"Well. Really well. I'm getting the hang of this Arithmancy stuff finally. And it's a lot easier to take notes now that I've charmed my wand to self-dictate rather than try to remember what was said and then later attempting to..."

"No. No, I meant... with... you know..." He said shyly.

"Oh. Oh. Um. Good. She's great. You know that."

He sighed. "I do."

The silence between us was so thick I didn't know how to end it. So, I just kept my face forward, pretending to continue my work.

"So, how did it happen? I mean... did she ask you or did you... I mean, how long have you two been..." He was struggling to ask what he really wanted to know and I really didn't want to have this conversation with him. Not at all.

"On her birthday. I kissed her." I said simply.

"Oh."

Thick silence once again filled the air between us. Like a dense fog creeping into the room from under the door.