Chapter 5

Taylor's POV

The nurse finished going over the discharge papers while I sat in the hospital bed, cradling Ivy in my arms. It still felt surreal, holding her tiny body against me. Her little fingers wrapped around my thumb, her small breaths soft and steady. I could've stayed there forever, just the two of us, but it was time to head to the next chapter—our first day outside the hospital, our first night together as a family. I couldn't wait to see Travis again.

"There you go, all set," the nurse said with a kind smile. "Your driver's waiting downstairs, and the car seat's already installed in the back."

I looked down at Ivy, her eyes barely open, and gently kissed her forehead. "Ready for your first ride, sweet girl?"

The nurse wheeled me out to the front of the hospital, where a sleek black SUV was waiting. Our driver, an older man with a warm smile, opened the door for us. "Ms. Swift, congratulations on your baby girl. Got a car seat all set up in the back for her."

"Thank you," I said, gently settling Ivy into the seat. Strapping her in felt like such a monumental task, making sure everything was secure and perfect. Once I was confident, I slid into the seat beside her, watching her tiny form nestled safely in the seat as we pulled away from the hospital.

As the city streets passed by, I reached for my phone, dialing Travis. The line rang twice before his familiar, deep voice picked up.

"Hey, baby," he answered, and I could hear the excitement in his voice.

"Hi," I said, smiling at the sound of him. "We're on our way to you. How's camp?"

"Camp's good, but all I've been thinking about is you two. When do you get here?"

"Soon. Just left the hospital." I glanced at Ivy, her eyes fluttering open for a moment before closing again. "Ivy's doing well—sleeping like a dream."

"Good," Travis said, his voice softening. "You both okay? You feeling alright?"

"I'm tired, but I'm good," I admitted. "I just can't wait to be with you."

"Me too, babe. Everything's ready for you here. I got the room set up—it's simple, but it'll do for now. I pushed the beds together so we can all be close, and I ordered a better crib that should be here in a couple of days."

I smiled, imagining the effort he must've put in. "Thank you for doing all that. It means so much."

"I'd do anything for you and Ivy, you know that," he said, his voice full of love. "Just get here safe, alright? I can't wait to see you."

"Almost there," I said, feeling my heart ache with how much I missed him. "We'll be together soon."

We hung up, and I spent the rest of the drive gazing at Ivy, marveling at her perfect little features. She was so peaceful, completely unaware of the world around her. But soon, she'd be in her dad's arms again, and we'd start this new life together.

As we pulled up to the St. Joe's campus, the car slowed near the practice field, where players were wrapping up their drills. I spotted Travis almost instantly—his tall frame, broad shoulders, and that familiar gait as he jogged over to the car. Even from a distance, I could see the excitement on his face.

The driver got out to help with the bags as Travis came straight for the back seat, opening the door and leaning in to see us. His eyes softened as they landed on Ivy, and he reached down to brush his fingers against her cheek.

"Hey, baby girl," he whispered, his voice thick with emotion.

Ivy stirred slightly at the sound of his voice but didn't wake. Travis smiled at me, his eyes shining with pride and love. "You two look perfect."

"We missed you," I said softly, reaching for his hand.

"I missed you more," he said, leaning in to kiss me gently. "Come on, let's get you settled."

Travis took Ivy out of the car seat with practiced ease, cradling her against his chest as if he'd been doing it forever. I watched them together taking a quick photo on my phone, she was so tiny against his body, my heart swelling with so much love I thought it might burst.

The dorms weren't far, and we made our way over quickly. Travis carried Ivy the whole time, walking slowly and carefully, like she was the most precious thing in the world. I followed beside him, feeling a sense of calm wash over me. This was where we were meant to be—together.

When we reached the room, Travis nudged the door open with his shoulder, and I stepped inside. The room was small, like I expected, but cozy. Travis had pushed two single beds together, making one large enough for both of us. A fold-up crib sat near the bed, lined with soft baby blankets Travis had picked out. The sight of it made me smile.

"I know it's not much," Travis said, looking a little self-conscious as he set Ivy down in the crib. "But I wanted to make sure you were both comfortable."

I walked over to him, wrapping my arms around his waist. "It's perfect, Travis. Really."

He sighed, leaning his forehead against mine. "I ordered a proper crib. It should be here in two or three days. This one's just temporary."

"It's fine," I assured him, smiling up at him. "We're together, that's all that matters."

Travis's eyes softened, and he pressed a kiss to my forehead. "You're right. I just want to make sure you have everything you need."

"I have you," I said quietly. "That's everything."

We stood there for a moment, holding each other in the quiet room, Ivy sleeping soundly beside us. The chaos of the past few days melted away, and all that remained was this—the three of us, our little family. It was simple, it was imperfect, but it was ours. And I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world.