Chapter 22

Travis's POV

The last three days had been an emotional rollercoaster. The hospital had become our temporary home as we anxiously watched Ivy's condition. With each passing hour, the weight of the situation pressed heavily on me, even though the doctors reassured us that Ivy would eventually recover. Taylor had been incredible, managing to juggle her exhaustion with the constant care Ivy needed. My role was to support as much as I could, but being away from practice was a challenge, especially with the season winding down.

The first night at the hospital was tough. Taylor was by Ivy's side, desperately trying to get her to feed. Despite all our efforts, Ivy refused to drink the milk Taylor had so painstakingly pumped. It was heartbreaking to see Taylor's frustration and worry mount as Ivy stubbornly pushed the bottle away.

I tried to help as much as possible, but it felt like we were in a constant battle. Taylor would hold Ivy, coaxing her with soft words, while I paced the room, feeling helpless. The nurses came in regularly to check on Ivy and offer advice, but it seemed like nothing we did could convince her to eat.

The second day, things hadn't improved much. Ivy was still refusing to feed, and Taylor was becoming increasingly stressed. She had pumped more milk than usual, hoping to find the right method to get Ivy to take it, but the baby's refusal to eat was taking a toll on both of us. The exhaustion was palpable in Taylor's eyes, and each failed attempt at feeding seemed to chip away at her already frayed nerves.

I decided to stay with Taylor and Ivy for the night, taking over as much of the care as I could. I would gently rock Ivy in my arms, talking to her in soothing tones, but every time I tried to offer her the bottle, she would turn her head away. It was as if she was simply too weak to muster the energy to eat, and seeing her struggle made me feel even more helpless.

By the third day, Taylor was drained. She hadn't slept well in days, and the stress of Ivy's refusal to eat was starting to show. I tried to encourage her to get some rest, but she was insistent on staying by Ivy's side. I was deeply worried about both of them, knowing that Taylor's exhaustion wasn't helping the situation.

The doctors continued to monitor Ivy closely. Each time they came in to check her vitals, Taylor and I would eagerly await any sign of improvement. When they did come in, we'd ask about the best way to handle Ivy's feeding issues, and their advice seemed to shift with each visit. They reassured us that Ivy would eventually start eating, but it was hard to remain hopeful when every feeding attempt ended in failure.

On the third night, the situation reached a tipping point. Taylor had spent most of the day pumping more milk and trying different feeding techniques, but Ivy's refusal to eat persisted. Taylor was physically and emotionally exhausted, and it was clear that the strain was affecting her health as well. As much as I wanted to be there for her, I had to focus on keeping Ivy calm and trying to get her to take some milk.

When the nurse came in for her routine check, I could see the concern in her eyes. She gently explained that Ivy's refusal to eat could be a result of the viral infection, which was affecting her appetite. It was a tough pill to swallow, knowing that our baby was suffering, but the nurse's calm demeanor helped a bit.

That night, as Taylor held Ivy in her arms, trying once again to get her to eat, I watched with a heavy heart. Taylor spoke softly to Ivy, her voice filled with love and desperation. After several attempts, Ivy finally took a small amount of milk. It was a small victory, but it felt like a glimmer of hope in the midst of a difficult situation.

As Taylor continued to soothe Ivy, I tried to offer comfort. I knew how much this meant to her and how hard she was working to make sure Ivy was okay. I gently rubbed her back, whispering words of encouragement. "You're doing amazing," I said softly. "We're getting through this, and she's showing signs of improvement. It's just going to take a little more time."