Chapter 13

Travis's POV

That night, after the rollercoaster of emotions throughout the day, I sat propped up in bed with Ivy nestled in my arms as she fed. The soft sounds of her tiny breaths and gentle gulps filled the room, and I couldn't help but smile down at her. My mom was in the kitchen, preparing dinner for us, and the familiar scent of home-cooked food drifted in, making the house feel a little more like home after so many weeks away.

Ivy's small hand rested against my chest, her fingers curling occasionally as she drank. She had been extra fussy today, but everything had changed the moment Travis got home. When he picked her up from the crib, she looked at him with her big, curious eyes and smiled for the first time. It was magical—the kind of moment that made every sleepless night and every tear worth it.

My phone buzzed softly beside me, pulling me out of the warm memory. I reached over, careful not to disturb Ivy too much, and saw Travis's name on the screen.

I swiped to answer, the sound of his voice immediately bringing a smile to my face. "Hey," I whispered, glancing down at Ivy as she fed. "How's camp going?"

"Hey, baby. It's going," Travis said with a soft laugh, though I could hear the exhaustion in his voice. "But man, I can't stop thinking about this morning. I can't believe Ivy smiled, and I actually got to see it."

"I know," I said, my own voice filled with happiness. "It was perfect. You should've seen the look on your face—you were glowing, Trav."

"Me?" He chuckled. "I'm pretty sure I've never been more proud of anything in my life. She's just... I can't even put it into words."

"I get it," I whispered, glancing down at our baby girl as she continued feeding. "Every little thing she does feels like a miracle."

There was a pause on the other end, and I could picture him sitting somewhere quiet, probably in his dorm room, trying to unwind after a long day of training. "I miss you guys already," he said softly. "I know it's only been a day, but being away from you both... it's hard."

"We miss you, too," I said, my heart aching at the thought of him being away. "But you'll be home soon. Just one more week."

"Yeah," he sighed. "And I promise I'll FaceTime you both every morning and night. You'll probably get sick of me calling so much."

"Never," I said with a smile, even though he couldn't see it. "We'll love every second of it."

There was another pause, but this time, it felt warm and comfortable. The kind of silence that comes when you're deeply connected to someone, even when they're not physically with you.

"How's she doing now?" Travis asked after a moment.

"She's doing good," I said, glancing down at Ivy, who was just finishing up. "She's eating well, and she hasn't fussed too much tonight. Maybe that smile was a turning point for her."

"I hope so," he said with a soft laugh. "She's tough like her mama."

I felt my heart swell at his words, and for a moment, the weight of everything—being a new mom, adjusting to our new life—lifted just a little. Travis always had a way of making me feel like I was enough, like I was doing everything right even when I doubted myself.

"Your mom's still there, right?" he asked, his voice full of concern.

"Yeah, she's making dinner right now," I said, glancing toward the door where I could hear the faint clattering of dishes. "She's been such a big help. I didn't think I'd need it, but it's been... it's been really nice having her here."

"I'm glad," he said softly. "I hate that I can't be there to help more. It's killing me not to be with you and Ivy every night."

"I know," I whispered, feeling the same ache. "But we'll get through this. Just a few more days, and then we'll all be home together."

He let out a long breath. "I can't wait. I'm counting down the seconds."

"I know you are," I said with a soft laugh, trying to lighten the mood. "But hey, you're doing great. You're killing it at camp, and you're an amazing dad. Ivy's lucky to have you."

"I'm the lucky one," Travis said, his voice tender. "I get to come home to you two. I've never felt luckier in my life."

As Ivy finally drifted off to sleep in my arms, I carefully stood up from the bed and walked over to her crib. I laid her down gently, covering her with a soft blanket. For once, she didn't stir, and I let out a sigh of relief.

"She's asleep now," I whispered into the phone.

"Good," Travis said, sounding just as relieved. "You should try to get some rest, too."

"I will," I promised. "I love you, Trav."

"Love you more," he said, his voice filled with affection. "I'll call you in the morning, okay?"

"Okay," I whispered. "Goodnight."

After we hung up, I stood there for a moment, watching Ivy sleep peacefully in her crib. She looked so tiny, so perfect. And for the first time in a while, I felt a sense of calm. Travis would be home soon, and everything would be okay. We were going to figure this out together—one day at a time.