Chapter 20

Taylor's POV

Christmas was always a magical time of year, but this year felt even more special with Ivy celebrating her first Christmas. She was six months old now, and while she might not fully understand the holiday, her curiosity and joy were contagious.

Our apartment was decked out with holiday decorations. The tree sparkled with lights, ornaments, and a star on top that Ivy seemed fascinated by. I spent the morning watching her babble and explore, her tiny hands reaching for the shiny baubles on the lower branches.

But today wasn't just about Christmas decorations; it was also about a Christmas Day NFL game. Travis was gearing up for a big matchup, and while we would miss the game's excitement in person, we planned to enjoy a special Christmas date together after.

"I'm so glad Mom is here to look after Ivy," I said to Travis as we finished getting ready. "It'll be nice to have a little break and enjoy the game."

"I'm glad too," Travis replied, checking his phone for game updates. "It's important to me that you get some time to relax. You've been incredible with Ivy, and you deserve a break."

With Ivy in good hands, we headed to the stadium for the game. The atmosphere was electric, filled with festive cheer and holiday spirit. The stadium was packed, and the energy was infectious. Travis and his teammates were determined to make this Christmas game memorable, and they played with all their heart.

As the game progressed, I kept checking my phone, sending quick updates to Mom and receiving reassuring texts in return. Ivy seemed to be in good hands, happily playing with her toys and enjoying the festive music.

By halftime, I received a text from Mom: "Everything's going great! Ivy's been playing and we even had a nap. She's so adorable."

I smiled, feeling a bit of relief. Travis and I enjoyed the second half of the game, celebrating the Chiefs' impressive performance. It was a thrilling experience, but I couldn't wait to get home and share the Christmas spirit with Ivy.

After the game, we headed out for a Christmas date. We decided to keep it simple with a cozy dinner at a nearby restaurant, just the two of us. The evening was perfect: the restaurant was beautifully decorated, and the holiday ambiance was the perfect backdrop for our date.

We had just ordered our meals when my phone rang. It was Mom.

"Taylor, I'm sorry to call you during your date, but I think Ivy might be coming down with something. She has a fever and won't stop crying," Mom said, her voice filled with concern.

Panic set in instantly. "What? Oh no. Is she okay? Do you need us to come home right away?"

"I think it's best if you come home. I've tried everything to soothe her, but nothing seems to be working," Mom said, her voice trembling slightly.

Travis and I exchanged worried glances. "We're coming home now," I said firmly. "Thanks for letting us know."

We quickly settled our bill and rushed back to our apartment. The drive felt like it took forever, and my heart was racing with worry. When we finally arrived, Mom was waiting at the door, looking exhausted but trying to keep calm.

"How is she?" I asked urgently.

Mom led us inside. "Ivy's been really uncomfortable. I've managed to get her to sleep for a bit, but she's been restless. I think we should take her to the hospital to make sure everything's alright."

Travis scooped Ivy up from her crib, and she looked up at him with tired, tearful eyes. The sight of her distress was heart-wrenching. "Let's get her checked out," Travis said, his voice steady despite the concern in his eyes.