Chapter 12

Taylor's POV

As I pulled into the driveway, I let out a deep breath I hadn't realized I'd been holding. The house felt different—like it wasn't really ours anymore. Travis and I hadn't been back since Ivy was born, and everything that had happened in the past few weeks made it feel like our whole world had shifted. Now, I was back home with Ivy, and though I knew my mom was waiting inside, I couldn't shake the anxious knot that had settled in my stomach.

I glanced in the rearview mirror, checking on Ivy, who was still asleep in her car seat. I hated waking her up, but we were home, and she needed to meet her grandma.

I stepped out of the car, the weight of exhaustion settling in my bones. When I opened the door to the house, the familiar scent of home hit me, but it was mingled with the fresh smell of cleaning supplies. I glanced around and noticed that the place had been tidied up—everything looked neater, cleaner, more organized than we'd left it.

"Mom?" I called out, stepping inside with Ivy's car seat in hand.

"In the kitchen, sweetheart," her voice answered warmly.

I headed toward the kitchen, my heart softening at the sound of her voice. When I walked in, I saw her standing at the counter, wiping it down, but as soon as she saw me, she dropped the rag and hurried over.

"Oh, honey," she said, her voice thick with emotion as she took me in her arms for a hug. "It's so good to see you."

I hugged her tightly, feeling a wave of comfort wash over me. "It's good to see you too, Mom."

She pulled back and looked down at Ivy, still sleeping in her car seat. Her eyes softened, and her face lit up with that unmistakable grandma glow. "And this must be Ivy."

I smiled and gently set the car seat down on the floor, carefully unbuckling Ivy. I lifted her out and handed her over to my mom. "Yep. This is Ivy. She's been a bit of a handful these last few days, but... she's perfect."

My mom cradled her with the ease of someone who had done it all before, rocking her gently. "She's beautiful, Tay. Just like you were when you were a baby."

I smiled, my heart swelling a bit. It was such a relief to have my mom here. To not feel like I was doing everything on my own for a little while.

We walked over to the couch, and I sat down beside my mom as she held Ivy. "She's been eating every two hours, like clockwork," I explained. "I've been pumping so Travis can help, but while he's at camp, it's been all me. And she doesn't want to be put down, ever."

My mom nodded, listening carefully. "It sounds like she's a little clingy, which is totally normal at this stage. She's still adjusting to the world. But you're doing an amazing job, honey. I can tell just by how calm she is."

I sighed, feeling the weight of the last two weeks pressing down on me. "I'm trying. But it's been a lot, Mom. Between Travis being at training camp and Ivy needing me constantly... it's been overwhelming."

She smiled softly at me, then looked back down at Ivy. "Let's get her settled in for a nap, and then you can tell me everything. We'll figure it out together."

We spent the next hour going over Ivy's feeding schedule, her little quirks, and how I'd been managing everything on my own while Travis was at camp. My mom listened intently, offering advice but never overstepping. When Ivy finally fell asleep, we took her upstairs to the master bedroom and carefully placed her in the crib Travis had set up before he left for camp.

The room felt quieter than usual, the absence of Travis more pronounced now that Ivy was sleeping peacefully. My mom turned to me with a soft smile as she pulled the baby monitor out of the bag I had brought, setting it up on the nightstand.

"She's going to be just fine, Taylor," my mom said softly, sitting down on the edge of the bed.

I stood there for a moment, staring at Ivy as she slept. She looked so small, so fragile, and it hit me all at once—how much responsibility I had now, how much my life had changed. And how, despite everything, I felt like I was drowning.

Before I could stop myself, the tears started to fall. I turned away from the crib and sank onto the bed beside my mom, covering my face with my hands.

"Honey?" My mom's voice was soft, full of concern.

"I can't do this, Mom," I whispered, my voice shaky. "I thought I could, but I can't. It's too much. I'm so scared I'm going to mess it all up."

She pulled me into her arms, holding me tightly. "Oh, sweetheart. You're doing so much better than you think."

"I know Travis has to work, I know he's at camp, but... I need him," I cried, my chest heaving. "I feel like I'm doing this on my own, and I don't know how much more I can take."

My mom stroked my hair, letting me cry it out in her arms. "You're not alone, Taylor. Travis loves you and Ivy so much. He's just as overwhelmed as you are, but you both need time to adjust. It's going to get better, I promise."

I wiped my eyes, sniffling. "It doesn't feel like it."

She pulled back, looking at me with the same steady, reassuring gaze I'd always known. "I'm here now, and I'll help you get through this. You're not alone in this, Taylor. And I know Travis will be home soon. You're going to figure it out together."

I nodded, feeling a little bit of the weight lift off my shoulders. Just having my mom here made it feel like I wasn't drowning anymore. But I still wished Travis could be here, too—right by my side, helping me through every sleepless night, every little moment with Ivy. We needed each other, and I missed him more than words could say.

But for now, at least, I had my mom. And for the first time in a while, I didn't feel quite so alone.