Chapter 15

Taylor's POV

The clock ticked slowly that day, my heart racing with every minute that brought Travis closer to coming home. Two long weeks of training camp were finally behind us, and tonight, for the first time since Ivy was born, we were going to have a night to ourselves.

I glanced over at my mom, who was sitting in the living room rocking Ivy gently in her arms. They had bonded quickly over the past week, and it was a relief to have someone I trusted to help out while Travis was away. As much as I wanted to be the perfect mom, there were days when I felt completely out of my depth. But with my mom here, I didn't have to do it all alone.

"Don't worry, sweetheart," Mom said softly, her voice soothing as she looked over at me. "I've got her. You and Travis need this time together."

I smiled, the warmth of her words filling me with gratitude. "Thanks, Mom. It's just been so much with him gone. I feel like I barely remember what it's like to have a conversation that doesn't involve diapers or feeding schedules."

Mom chuckled, brushing a hand over Ivy's soft hair. "That's what happens when you have a newborn, but trust me, these moments will pass faster than you think."

I knew she was right, but it didn't make it any easier. Still, tonight was going to be special. Travis was finally coming home, and I had already planned a quiet evening for us. Just the two of us, some takeout, and a movie—nothing fancy, but something we hadn't had in a while.

The door creaked open a little after six, and I swear my heart skipped a beat. Ivy stirred in Mom's arms, but she stayed asleep. I rushed to the door, already feeling the smile spreading across my face.

When I saw him standing there, duffel bag slung over his shoulder, tired but smiling, I felt a rush of emotions hit me all at once. Without thinking, I ran straight into his arms, burying my face in his chest. His strong arms wrapped around me, pulling me close, and I inhaled the familiar scent of him—sweat, a little bit of grass, and something that was just Travis.

"You're finally home," I mumbled against his shirt, feeling the tension of the past few weeks melting away.

"I missed you so much, Tay," he whispered, holding me tight. "It feels like forever since I've been here."

I pulled back slightly, looking up at him, and smiled. "Well, you're here now. That's all that matters."

Travis bent down, kissing my forehead, and for a moment, everything felt like it used to. Like it was before the whirlwind of camp and sleepless nights. He glanced past me into the living room, his eyes landing on Ivy.

"How's our little girl?" he asked softly, his voice filled with warmth.

"She's good," I said, turning to look at her. "Mom's been a lifesaver with her."

Mom stood up, still cradling Ivy. "She's just been fed and is about to fall asleep for a while and i can warm up a bottle if need be. Don't worry about her tonight; I've got her. You two go relax."

Travis and I shared a look, both of us grateful for the help. We hadn't had a single moment to ourselves since Ivy was born, and the idea of just being Taylor and Travis again, if only for a few hours, sounded like heaven.

"Thanks, Mom," I said, giving her a quick hug before leading Travis into the kitchen.

I could feel the weight of the last two weeks in his posture as he set his bag down and stretched out. The exhaustion was clear in his face, but so was the relief. We were home. Together.

"What do you feel like eating?" I asked, heading to the counter where my phone sat. I had a list of takeout menus ready, knowing we'd be too tired to cook.

"Anything that doesn't involve cafeteria food," Travis groaned, flopping down into one of the chairs. "You decide. I trust your judgment."

I chuckled, flipping through the menus before landing on our go-to pizza place. "Pizza it is. How about some wings too?"

He smiled, his eyes lighting up. "Now you're talking."

I placed the order, and while we waited for the food, I grabbed a blanket from the couch and motioned for him to join me in the living room. Travis sank down beside me, wrapping his arm around my shoulders as I cuddled into his side. The TV was on, some random show playing in the background, but neither of us were really paying attention.

"How was camp?" I asked after a moment, looking up at him.

"Long," he sighed, running a hand through his hair. "But good. The guys are pumped for the season, and I'm glad I could focus, but..."

"But what?" I prompted.

His eyes softened as he looked down at me. "It was hard being away from you and Ivy. I kept thinking about you two. Every time I saw a photo, it made it harder to be away."

My heart swelled. "We missed you too, Trav. It's been hard, but we're figuring it out."

He leaned down and kissed me, slow and soft, like he was savoring the moment. "I don't know how you've been doing it, Tay. You're amazing. I'm so proud of you."

I smiled against his lips. "We're a team, remember? I couldn't do this without you."

The sound of the doorbell interrupted us, and I reluctantly pulled away to get the food. When I returned with the pizza and wings, we settled back onto the couch, plates balanced on our laps, and the movie finally playing on the TV. It was some action flick Travis had been wanting to see, but honestly, I wasn't even paying attention. I was too focused on being here with him, enjoying the simplicity of the moment.

After a while, we finished eating and moved the plates aside. I snuggled closer into Travis's side, resting my head on his shoulder. It felt good—no, it felt right—to be here like this, just the two of us.

"You know," I murmured, tracing small circles on his arm, "I've been thinking."

"About what?" he asked, his voice low.

"About us. About how we're handling everything. I know it's been tough, but I really think we're doing okay. We're figuring it out, slowly but surely."

Travis tightened his hold on me, his lips brushing against the top of my head. "We are. And we'll keep figuring it out together."

We stayed like that for a while, wrapped up in each other, until the movie ended and the room grew quiet. I glanced at the clock, realizing how late it had gotten.

"Mom's probably ready to head to bed," I said softly, not wanting to disturb the peace. "Ivy's been good tonight. Let's hope it stays that way."

Travis chuckled. "I'll go check on her."

He stood up, stretching as he walked over to where Ivy was peacefully sleeping in her crib. I watched as he bent down, gently brushing a hand over her tiny head, his face soft with love and awe.

"She's perfect," he whispered, turning back to me with a smile.

I felt my heart swell with love for both of them, realizing just how lucky we were. Life might be chaotic right now, but we were in it together, and that was all that mattered.

As Travis came back to sit beside me, I took his hand in mine, squeezing it tightly. "I love you," I whispered, feeling the weight of the words settle between us.

"I love you too, Tay," he said, leaning down to kiss me one last time before we both settled in for the night.

We might not have had everything figured out, but in that moment, with Travis by my side and Ivy safe in the next room with my mom.