Chapter 11

Taylor's POV

As I packed up the last few things in the dorm, the air felt thick with the weight of my decision. Ivy was tucked snugly in her carrier, sound asleep, her tiny chest rising and falling softly. I glanced over at Travis, who was sitting on the bed, holding one of Ivy's baby blankets in his hands. There was a heaviness between us, something unspoken but palpable.

We were leaving the dorm today to head back to Kansas, our home, and I couldn't help but feel a bittersweet mix of relief and sadness. On one hand, I knew we needed to go back; my mom was coming to help out for a few weeks, and I needed the extra hands. But on the other, it felt like leaving Travis behind.

"Hey," Travis's voice broke through my thoughts. "You all set?"

I nodded, closing the last zipper of the bag. "Yeah, I think we're good to go." I glanced over at Ivy. "She's been so calm this morning. I hope the drive doesn't upset her too much."

Travis chuckled, standing up and walking over to Ivy's carrier. "She's tough, like her mom. She'll be fine." He leaned down and gently lifted her from the carrier, his large hands cradling her tiny form with a tenderness that never failed to amaze me. "Aren't you, baby girl?"

I smiled, watching him interact with her. Travis had a natural ease when it came to being a dad. Ivy was only two weeks old, but already she had him wrapped around her little finger.

As he held her close, Travis started with his usual baby talk, cooing softly at her. "Look at you, Ivy girl. You ready to go on a little adventure with Mom? Daddy's gonna miss you, but he'll be home soon."

And then it happened.

Ivy's little mouth twitched, and suddenly, there it was—her first real smile. It wasn't just a sleepy, accidental grin. This was different, as if she were reacting to the sound of Travis's voice.

"Oh my God," I gasped, my heart swelling. "Did she just—?"

Travis froze, his face lighting up with pure joy. "Did you see that?" he whispered, his voice thick with awe. "She smiled. Our girl just smiled."

He looked at me, his eyes glistening with emotion, and in that moment, nothing else mattered. Ivy had just given us her first real smile, and it felt like the world had stopped spinning, just for a second, to let us savor the moment.

"I can't believe it," I said, my voice trembling with excitement. "She actually smiled!"

Travis's grin was contagious as he gently bounced her in his arms, his own excitement bubbling over. "That's my girl," he said, his voice thick with pride. "Already making your mom and dad proud, huh?"

I moved closer, my heart soaring as I reached out to brush Ivy's cheek. "She's so perfect."

Travis nodded, his eyes never leaving Ivy's face. "She is. I wish I could be there for all of her firsts."

There was a moment of quiet between us, and then Travis sighed, the weight of reality sinking back in. "I'm really gonna miss you both while you're back in Kansas."

I swallowed hard, trying to push away the lump forming in my throat. "I know. It's only for a week, though. And you promised to FaceTime us every morning and night, right?"

Travis nodded, his eyes softening. "I will. Every morning before camp, and every night after. I'll be counting down the days until I'm back home with my girls."

I smiled, though it was bittersweet. "We'll be counting down too."

He held Ivy a little closer, brushing his lips against her forehead. "You hear that, Ivy? I'm gonna FaceTime you every single day. Daddy's not gonna miss a thing, even if I'm not there in person."

Ivy wriggled in his arms, her tiny fists curling up against his chest. Watching them together filled me with a warmth I couldn't describe. I knew this week apart was necessary, but it didn't make it any easier.

"We're going to be okay, Tay," Travis said softly, as if reading my thoughts. "I'll be home before you know it. And when I get there, I'm taking over the night feedings so you can actually get some sleep."

I chuckled softly, leaning into his side. "That sounds like heaven."

We stood there for a few more moments, savoring the calm before the rush of the day. Travis kissed Ivy one more time before gently placing her back into her carrier. He gave me a lingering kiss on the forehead, his arms wrapping around me in a warm embrace.

"I love you both so much," he whispered into my hair.

"We love you too," I said, my voice catching slightly.

As we finished packing up the last of our things, there was a deep sense of peace that settled over me. Ivy's smile had been a small but monumental moment, a reminder of just how special these early days were. And while the week apart would be hard, I knew that Travis was right—we would be okay.

He walked us out to the car, his hand resting on the back of Ivy's carrier as we made our way down the hall. Even though we weren't going far, it still felt like a goodbye, at least for now.

Before I got in the car, Travis leaned down one more time, his face soft and full of love. "Take care of Mommy, okay Ivy? I'll see you soon."

And with that, I drove away, watching him wave from the rearview mirror, his figure getting smaller as the distance grew between us. But Ivy's smile stayed with me, a little reminder of the joy waiting for us on the other side.