Chapter Twenty-Four: The Tide Turns

The morning sun crept over the horizon, casting a warm glow over Rindora, but the city felt anything but peaceful. Mia stood on the rooftop of their rented inn, gazing out over the busy docks below. The chaos they'd sown the previous night was already spreading through the streets like wildfire. Rumors of disrupted shipments, delayed deliveries, and lost goods were circulating among the traders, and the Consortium's stranglehold on the Flow was beginning to show signs of weakness.

Logan appeared at her side, wiping the sweat from his brow. "The damage we did to the supply lines is worse than I thought," he said with a satisfied grin. "They're scrambling to figure out what happened."

Mia nodded, though her thoughts were focused on the next step. "Good. But this is only the beginning. The traders might start doubting the Consortium’s ability to deliver on their promises, but they need more than just a disruption. We need to show them that they can still thrive without the Consortium."

"How do we do that?" Logan asked, leaning against the stone railing. "They’re scared, Mia. Desperation makes people cling to whatever seems like a lifeline, even if it’s choking them."

"That’s where we come in," Mia replied, her voice firm. "The traders of Rindora need to see the coalition as a viable alternative, not just a rebel faction fighting in the shadows. We need to make it clear that there’s a path forward for them—one where they’re in control of their own fate."

Logan raised an eyebrow. "And how do we make that clear? It’s not like we have the resources to match the Consortium’s wealth. They have years of control behind them. We’re just… well, we’re just getting started."

Mia turned to face him, her eyes gleaming with determination. "We don’t need to match their wealth. We just need to show the traders what the future can look like with the coalition. If we can secure a major trade route through the Flow—something the Consortium has failed to do recently—it will prove that we can provide stability, even where they’ve faltered."

Logan’s expression shifted as understanding dawned on him. "You’re talking about the Western Passage, aren’t you? The one the Consortium abandoned because it was too dangerous."

Mia nodded. "Exactly. The Western Passage is risky, but it’s also one of the most profitable trade routes. If we can secure it and re-establish safe passage, the traders of Rindora—and beyond—will see that the coalition isn’t just an alternative. We’re a better option."

Logan whistled low. "That’s a hell of a gamble, Mia. The Western Passage is crawling with raiders and rival factions. The Consortium couldn’t handle it, and they’ve got way more resources than we do."

"We have something they don’t," Mia said, a small smile tugging at her lips. "We have magic. And we have allies who are willing to take risks for the right cause."

Logan crossed his arms, considering. "If we can pull it off, it’ll be a huge win. But if we fail…"

"We won’t fail," Mia cut in, her voice sharp. "We can’t afford to. The future of the coalition depends on this."

Logan studied her for a moment, then nodded. "Alright. I’m in. What’s the plan?"

"We gather our allies," Mia replied. "We’ll need both traders and fighters for this. Elys is already reaching out to the mages in Tyrellis, and I’ve made contact with a few key traders who are still on the fence. If we can convince them to join us, we’ll have the manpower and the resources to take on the Passage."

"And what about Berrick?" Logan asked. "You think he’ll sit back and watch while we do this? He might be in the Consortium’s pocket now, but he’s no fool. If he senses we’re up to something, he’ll try to stop us."

Mia’s expression darkened. "Berrick won’t be a problem—for now. He’s tied himself to the Consortium’s promises, but the moment they start to falter, he’ll look for a way out. We just need to be ready to offer him one when the time comes."

Logan grinned. "So we’re going to make him sweat a little, huh?"

Mia smirked. "Just enough to remind him who’s really in control."

---

Later that day, Mia, Logan, and Elys gathered in a small, secluded tavern near the edge of Rindora. The dimly lit room was filled with the hum of quiet conversation as their allies began to arrive. The traders who still had doubts about the Consortium had agreed to meet, along with a handful of mercenaries and mages who had worked with the coalition in the past.

Elys was the first to speak as the group settled around the large, worn table. "The Western Passage is a difficult route, but with the right support, we can make it work. The raiders that plague the route have been paid off by the Consortium in the past to disrupt any independent traders who try to use it. But if we offer them a better deal, or show them that we can protect our convoys, they’ll back off."

One of the older traders, a man named Ferris, frowned. "That’s easier said than done. The Consortium has deep pockets. They’ve kept the raiders in their pocket for years. What makes you think we can sway them?"

Mia leaned forward, her voice steady and confident. "The raiders don’t care who pays them, as long as they get paid. And the Consortium has been cutting corners lately, skimping on their payments to keep their own profits high. If we approach the raiders with a fair offer—one that ensures they get what they want without risking a fight—they’ll take it."

Ferris exchanged glances with the other traders. "And if they don’t? What if they decide they’d rather take their chances with the Consortium?"

Logan cracked his knuckles. "Then we show them why that’s a bad idea."

A murmur of agreement rippled through the group. It was clear that tensions were high, but the traders were listening. They were desperate for an alternative to the Consortium’s control, and Mia could sense that they were on the verge of tipping in her favor.

"We’re not just offering a new trade route," Mia said, her voice rising above the chatter. "We’re offering a new way of doing business. One where traders control their own futures, free from the Consortium’s manipulations. The Western Passage is a test. If we succeed, it will prove that the coalition can protect trade in ways the Consortium can’t."

A younger trader, a woman with sharp eyes and a calculating expression, spoke up. "And if we fail? What happens to us then? The Consortium won’t let this go unpunished."

Mia met her gaze head-on. "If we fail, the entire coalition could fall apart. But if we don’t take this risk, we’ll be handing the Flow over to the Consortium without a fight. I’d rather face the dangers of the Western Passage than let them control us for another day."

The room fell silent for a moment as the traders weighed her words. Then, slowly, Ferris nodded. "I’m in. The Western Passage has been closed to us for too long. It’s time we take it back."

One by one, the other traders voiced their agreement, until the entire room had pledged their support.

Mia exhaled, feeling the weight of the moment settle on her shoulders. The decision had been made, but the real challenge was still ahead. Securing the Western Passage would not be easy, but it was their only chance to turn the tide.

As the meeting broke up and the traders began to leave, Mia exchanged a glance with Logan and Elys. They had taken the first step, but the path ahead was fraught with danger.

The coalition was about to face its greatest test yet—and there was no turning back now.

---

Later that night, Mia lay in bed, staring up at the ceiling, her mind racing with the risks they were about to take. The future of the coalition, the future of free trade, and the future of Rindora all hinged on the success of their mission.

But as the darkness of the room pressed in around her, Mia found herself filled with a sense of grim determination. She had come too far to let fear hold her back now.

The Western Passage would be theirs.

No matter the cost.