Chapter Twenty-Five: Into the Storm

The next few days passed in a whirlwind of preparations. Mia, Logan, and Elys worked tirelessly to gather supplies, recruit more allies, and secure enough resources for the dangerous mission ahead. Word of their plans spread through the underground circles of Rindora, and soon enough, the coalition had assembled a small but capable force to take on the Western Passage.

Mia stood in the heart of their makeshift headquarters, staring at the large map laid out on the table. The Western Passage was a notoriously treacherous route, winding through mountains and dense forests, with narrow paths that left little room for error. The Consortium had abandoned it years ago after a series of costly raids, deeming it too dangerous to maintain control over.

But now, it was their opportunity.

"We've got everything we need," Logan said, approaching from the side, his voice low but steady. "Weapons, supplies, and enough hands to man the caravans. The traders are nervous, but they’re committed. Most of them know this is a one-shot deal."

Mia nodded, though her stomach twisted with a mix of excitement and anxiety. "It’s more than that, Logan. If we succeed, we don’t just secure the passage—we prove that the coalition can provide what the Consortium can’t. The traders will see us as their future, not just a rebellious faction."

Logan leaned over the map, his eyes scanning the rough outline of the route. "And if we fail?"

Mia didn’t flinch. "Then the traders will lose faith in us, and the Consortium will tighten its grip on every trade route from here to the capital. We can’t afford to fail."

Logan raised an eyebrow. "No pressure, then."

Elys joined them, her robes swaying slightly as she moved, her expression thoughtful. "The raiders are the biggest concern. We have to assume they’ll strike, but the question is when. If we can get through the first leg of the journey without being noticed, we might be able to catch them off guard."

Mia crossed her arms, considering. "We’ll need scouts. People who can move quickly and quietly to monitor their movements."

Elys smiled. "Already taken care of. I’ve recruited a few skilled rangers who know the terrain. They’ll be our eyes and ears."

Mia nodded. "Good. That just leaves the final preparations. Once we’re out of Rindora, we’re on our own. No turning back."

---

By the time the day of departure arrived, the coalition’s caravan was ready. Mia stood at the edge of the docks, watching as the traders loaded the last of their goods onto the wagons. There were fewer wagons than she would’ve liked—just three in total—but that was all they could spare for the test run. If they made it through the Western Passage, larger convoys would follow.

The sun was still low in the sky, casting long shadows over the quiet city. The air was thick with anticipation, and Mia could feel the tension in the traders around her. They knew the risks, and yet, here they were, ready to take the chance.

Logan approached, adjusting the straps on his pack. "You ready for this?"

Mia glanced at him, a small smile tugging at her lips. "I’ve been ready since the moment we started this fight."

Before Logan could respond, Elys appeared, her face grim. "We’ve received word from our scouts. The raiders know we’re coming."

Mia’s heart skipped a beat, though she didn’t let it show. "How bad is it?"

"They’ve set up a blockade about halfway through the passage," Elys replied, her voice calm but urgent. "It’s small for now, but they’re expecting more reinforcements in the coming days. If we move quickly, we can get through before their full force arrives."