The artist and the boxer

One day, while finishing up a grueling boxing practice, JK caught sight of a girl sitting near the window of the practice room. She was focused, sketching intently in her notebook. He had seen her around school but had never mustered the courage to talk to her. Today, something pulled him closer.

After practice, he wiped the sweat from his brow and took a deep breath, deciding to approach her. As he walked over, he noticed how the afternoon light cast a warm glow around her, highlighting her concentration.

"Hey," he said, trying to sound casual as he approached her table. "I'm JK. You're really into drawing, huh?"

She looked up, surprised but smiling. "Yeah, I guess you could say that. I'm Shi Ho. Nice to meet you!"

They fell into an easy conversation. JK found himself captivated by her passion for art. She spoke about her sketches, sharing how she loved capturing emotions on paper. He, in turn, shared his experiences in boxing, the thrill of competition, and the focus it required. As they talked, laughter bubbled between them, breaking down any initial awkwardness.

Over the next few days, they began to spend more time together. JK would often drop by the practice room just to see if Shi Ho was around. They talked about everything — their interests, their dreams, and even their insecurities. It felt natural, as if they had been friends for a long time.

One afternoon, as they were sitting together under a large tree outside the school, Shi Ho shyly mentioned that she had a few sketches she wanted to show him. Intrigued, JK encouraged her to share.

"You should definitely show me your work," he said, genuinely interested. "I'd love to see what you've created."

Shi Ho smiled, her cheeks flushing a little. "Okay, but promise not to laugh if they're not that great."

"Promise!" JK replied, raising his hand as if taking an oath.

Days turned into weeks, and their friendship blossomed. They enjoyed each other's company, laughing and teasing one another. JK felt a sense of ease he hadn't experienced in a long time. Shi Ho's perspective on life was refreshing, and he found himself looking forward to their time together.

One afternoon, as they were walking back from the art supply store, Shi Ho mentioned her excitement about an upcoming art exhibition at the local gallery. She seemed nervous but hopeful.

"I really want to showcase my work there, but I'm not sure if I'm ready," she admitted, biting her lip.

"You should go for it! Your art deserves to be seen," JK encouraged, his voice earnest. "I'll come to support you, no matter what."

"Really? You'd come?" Shi Ho asked, surprise lighting up her eyes.

"Of course! I wouldn't miss it for the world," he replied, feeling a swell of affection for her passion.

As they continued to chat, an idea formed in JK's mind. He hesitated for a moment, then decided to take a leap of faith.

"Hey, can I get your number? So we can plan for the exhibition and maybe... I don't know, share more sketches?" he asked, trying to keep his tone casual.

Shi Ho smiled brightly and nodded. "I'd like that."

They exchanged numbers, and as they parted ways that day, JK felt a sense of warmth and excitement. He didn't know where this budding friendship would lead, but he was eager to find out

A few days later, Shi Ho found herself waiting for a cab outside the art supply store. She hopped in, excited to head home after a productive day. However, as the driver took a different route, unease crept in. The road looked unfamiliar, and her instincts screamed that something was off.

"Is this a shortcut?" she asked, trying to keep her voice steady.

"Yeah, just a quicker way," the driver replied, but his tone lacked conviction. Shi Ho's gut twisted with suspicion.

As they turned down a dark alley, she glanced at the driver and noticed him eyeing her phone. Panic surged through her when he suddenly reached for it.

"Hey, what are you doing?" she protested, clutching her phone.

Before she could react, he dialed a number, but she knew she had no one to call for help. In a moment of desperation, she dialed the only number that came to mind—JK's. With trembling fingers, she sent him her live location, praying he would come.

"Where are we going?" she asked, voice shaky.

"Just relax," he said, his smile chilling her more than comforting.

The cab stopped in an isolated area, and her heart raced. The driver opened the door, but instinct kicked in. Shi Ho flung the door open and bolted, sprinting down the alleyway. She ran as fast as she could, not looking back.

Finding refuge behind some wooden planks near a factory, she pressed her back against the rough surface, trying to catch her breath. But just as she thought she was safe, the driver spotted her.

"Get back here!" he shouted, advancing toward her.

In that moment of panic, just when she felt all hope was lost, she heard a familiar voice call out, "Hey! Let her go!"

JK appeared, charging toward her with determination. "Get away from her!" He pushed the driver aside and stepped protectively in front of Shi Ho.

The driver, taken aback by JK's sudden arrival, hesitated before turning to leave. "You don't want to get involved, kid," he sneered, trying to regain control of the situation.

JK's expression was fierce. "You picked the wrong girl to mess with. I won't let you hurt her."

With the driver retreating, Shi Ho felt a rush of relief wash over her. JK turned to her, concern etched on his face. "Are you okay? Did he hurt you?"

She nodded, though her heart was still racing. "I-I'm fine. Just scared."

Without wasting another moment, JK took her hand. "Let's get out of here." They ran together toward the nearby Han River bridge, the cool night air offering a sense of safety.

Once they reached the bridge, they sat down, taking a moment to breathe. The water flowed calmly beneath them, a stark contrast to the chaos they had just escaped.

Shi Ho looked at JK, gratitude swelling in her chest. "Thank you for coming. I didn't know what I would have done without you."

"I'm just glad you're safe," he replied softly, his gaze steady on her.

As they sat there, Shi Ho took a deep breath, feeling the weight of her past lift slightly. "I should tell you... I only have your number saved on my phone," she confessed, her voice quiet. "I grew up in an orphanage. I don't have parents, family, or really any friends. You're the first person I've shown my contacts to. The rest are just blank."

JK's heart sank at her words. "I had no idea... You're not alone anymore, Shi Ho. I'm here for you, no matter what."

Her eyes glistened with unshed tears, and she managed a small smile. "Thank you. It means more than you know."

As the night wore on, they shared stories, laughter, and a renewed sense of trust. The fear from earlier began to fade, replaced by the comfort of companionship. It was a night neither of them would forget, marking a new chapter in their relationship.