A shattered promise

authors pov 

The night of the planned operation arrived with a tense anticipation. Aera and her team had meticulously prepared for this moment. At exactly 1:45 a.m., they successfully hacked into Kim Seok Min's laptop, obtaining the passcode for the locked office locker: 131095. The team's spirits were high as Aera approached the imposing mansion that belonged to Jimin's uncle, her heart pounding with both excitement and anxiety.

The clock ticked closer to 2:00 a.m., and Jimin, acting his part perfectly, shut off the security systems of the mansion. Aera took a deep breath and stealthily made her way inside, slipping through the shadows toward the office. Her mind was focused, her movements practiced. She reached the locker and began inputting the passcode.

But just as the locker's lock clicked open, a deafening crash shattered the silence. Police officers stormed into the room, guns drawn. Kim Seok Min, standing with his sinister smirk, watched with satisfaction as Aera was cornered. The situation had been a trap all along.

In a desperate bid to escape, Aera swiftly jumped out of the office window, cutting off all connections and communication with her team. She hid her phone to prevent it from falling into the wrong hands. Amidst the chaos of police officers and flashing lights, Aera took one last look at the mansion. Her gaze met Jimin's, whose expression was unreadable but filled with a cold intensity.

Aera's heart ached as she prepared to face the consequences of her betrayal. As she was surrounded by the police, she managed to meet Jimin's eyes one final time. Her voice was steady but laced with the weight of her emotions. "I've made plenty of mistakes in my life. One was loving and trusting you. But as I promised, I will never let my smile fade away."

With just two tears glistening in her eyes, she offered him a faint smile. Jimin's eyes widened in shock as he recalled a memory:

Memory Flashback:

Jimin and Sana were standing in the valley, surrounded by its serene beauty.

Jimin: "Oh Sana, you should smile often. You look more beautiful."

Sana: "Oh, then I will, as you are my smile savior. What do you want in return?"

Jimin: "Just promise me you will never let go of that smile."

Sana: "I promise."

The memory lingered in Jimin's mind as he saw the promise unraveling before him. He had once urged Sana to keep her smile, a symbol of their bond, but now, he was forced to watch as it was taken from her.

The police led Aera away, and Jimin's heart was heavy with regret. He had orchestrated this betrayal to protect his uncle, but witnessing Aera's bravery and her unwavering commitment to her smile left him conflicted. His role as a spy had led him to this moment of painful realization.

As Aera was taken to the police station, Jimin stood alone, grappling with the reality of his choices. The smile he had cherished was now a haunting reminder of what had been lost.

As the cold steel of the handcuffs bit into Aera's wrists, she was led to a small, dimly lit interrogation room at the police station. Despite the fear and uncertainty, she remained composed. When given the chance to make a phone call, she seized it with urgency.

Aera dialed Kai's number, her heart pounding with a mixture of hope and dread. The line connected, and Kai's voice came through, filled with concern.

Kai: "Aera? What's happening? Are you okay?"

Aera: "Kai, I'm in the police station. They've caught me. They're going to investigate me soon, and if they do, my identity will be exposed. You need to get me out of here, quickly."