the factory

The sun dipped below the horizon, casting a deep indigo across the sky. JK and Shi Ho remained seated on the park bench, the envelope resting heavily between them. The weight of the moment pressed down on both of them, filling the air with unspoken thoughts and lingering uncertainty.

"Tomorrow," Shi Ho said quietly, her gaze fixed on the envelope. "I should go to the factory tomorrow."

JK's heart raced at her words. "Are you sure? We could talk to the others—Namjoon, J-Hope, or even Aera. They might have ideas on how to handle this."

Shi Ho shook her head, her expression resolute. "I've kept my past hidden for so long. If I'm going to confront it, I need to do it on my own terms. But I want you there, JK. I need you."

"Then I'll go with you," he replied firmly, squeezing her hand tighter. "I won't let you face this alone."

She looked at him, gratitude flooding her features. "Thank you. You have no idea how much that means to me."

As they sat in companionable silence, the darkness began to envelop them, broken only by the occasional flickering of distant streetlights. The moment felt fragile, like a delicate glass structure that could shatter with the slightest disturbance. JK sensed Shi Ho's apprehension and wanted to ease her fears, but he couldn't shake his own worries about what awaited them at the factory.

"We should probably get back," he finally said, glancing at his watch. "It's getting late."

Shi Ho nodded, but as they stood, she hesitated, her gaze drifting back to the envelope. "What if this is a mistake? What if I open a door that should stay closed?"

"Then we'll close it again together," JK reassured her, his tone unwavering. "Whatever happens, we'll figure it out. Just remember, you're not alone in this."

They walked home side by side, the weight of the envelope in Shi Ho's pocket echoing the uncertainty in the air. As they reached her apartment building, she paused, turning to face him. "I guess this is it for tonight."

"Yeah," JK said, glancing around as if expecting someone to jump out from the shadows. "Just... be careful, alright?"

"I will. I promise," she said, a small smile breaking through her anxious demeanor.

As Shi Ho turned to go inside, JK felt a pang of reluctance. "Wait! Let me walk you in."

"No, it's okay. I'll be fine," she insisted, though her voice lacked confidence.

"Just let me," he said, determination setting in. He didn't want to leave her side until he knew she was safe.

With a reluctant nod, Shi Ho allowed him to accompany her up the stairs. As they reached her door, she turned to face him, her expression softening. "Thanks for being here, JK. You've become... important to me."

His heart raced at her words. "You're important to me too, Shi Ho. More than I can say."

They shared a lingering gaze, the connection between them undeniable. Finally, Shi Ho broke the moment, opening her door. "I'll see you tomorrow, right? For the factory?"

"Of course. I'll be there," JK assured her, feeling a mix of anxiety and anticipation.

With a small wave, Shi Ho stepped inside, leaving JK standing in the dim light of the hallway. He exhaled slowly, his mind racing with thoughts of what lay ahead. He knew they were about to confront something significant, and the gravity of the situation weighed heavily on him.

The following day felt interminable. Classes dragged on, and every time the bell rang, JK's heart raced in anticipation of meeting Shi Ho at the park. He couldn't shake the feeling that today would change everything.

Finally, as the day ended, he rushed to their meeting spot. Shi Ho was already there, her expression a mix of anxiety and determination. She held the envelope tightly in her hands, the edges crumpled from her grip.

"Ready?" he asked, trying to sound more confident than he felt.

"As ready as I'll ever be," she replied, her voice steady despite the turmoil beneath.

Together, they walked toward the old factory, the streets growing quieter as they approached their destination. The factory loomed ahead, a decrepit building surrounded by overgrown weeds and faded paint. JK felt a chill run down his spine as they stepped inside, the musty air wrapping around them like a blanket.

"Stay close," he whispered, scanning the dimly lit interior for any signs of danger. The place felt abandoned, yet something seemed to pulse with energy, as if the walls were whispering secrets.

Shi Ho took a deep breath, steeling herself. "I've never been here before, but I've heard stories."

"Stories?" JK asked, curiosity piqued.

"Yeah, about the factory being haunted, about people disappearing," she said, her voice trembling slightly. "It's all just rumors, but..."

"But what if it's true?" he finished for her, his heart racing.

They continued deeper into the factory, their footsteps echoing off the concrete floor. The place felt like a labyrinth, with dark corners and creaking metal. Every shadow seemed to hold its breath, waiting for something to happen.

As they ventured further in, Shi Ho stopped suddenly, her eyes locking onto something in the distance. "There! That's where the light is coming from."

They cautiously approached a doorway bathed in a faint glow. As they reached it, Shi Ho hesitated, biting her lip. "What if it's a trap?"

"Then we'll figure it out together," JK reminded her. "I won't let anything happen to you."

With a deep breath, Shi Ho pushed open the door, and they stepped into the room. It was empty except for a single flickering light bulb hanging from the ceiling. In the center of the room was an old wooden table, and on it lay several photographs scattered across its surface.

"Shi Ho, look!" JK exclaimed, rushing toward the table. The photographs were of a young girl, her features strikingly similar to Shi Ho's.

"No..." Shi Ho gasped, her hands covering her mouth as she took a step back. "That can't be me..."

JK picked up one of the photos, squinting at the image. "Shi Ho, this looks like you. But... who are these people?" He gestured to the other images, which depicted the same girl with different individuals—some smiling, others looking serious.

"This doesn't make sense," she whispered, tears forming in her eyes. "I don't remember any of this. I don't know any of these people!"

"Maybe it's a clue," JK suggested, scanning the room for anything else that might help. "We need to find out who they are."

Suddenly, a noise echoed from behind them, and they both turned sharply. A shadow moved in the corner of the room, and before they could react, a figure emerged from the darkness.

"Shi Ho," the figure said, voice low and haunting.

Shi Ho froze, her eyes widening in recognition. "You!"

JK stepped in front of her instinctively, feeling his protective instincts surge. "Who are you?" he demanded, his voice firm.

The figure took a step closer, and as the light illuminated their face, both JK and Shi Ho gasped in shock