Chapter 18

While going through the dark tunnels of the cave, you walked. You decided that you didn't want to get back home anytime soon. You were excited to get the salamanders to their rightful place, but you didn't want to break the news to Casey about the humans. It just didn't seem right.

You followed the smoke trails back to the village. Along the way, you couldn't get your mind to wander to positive things. Gamzee being attacked, using Casey as a sacrifice, your true home being destroyed- it was a lot to take in.

You really wanted to be with Kankri. You wanted to hug him tightly and have him tell you that everything would be okay- just like when Gamzee was missing. You desperately needed a pep talk.

When you got to the village the salamanders cheered. "The hero has returned!" "Has she found a way out?" "Maybe she can finally get us out of here!"

You cleared your throat. It didn't catch their attention. "Hello!" You called. Upon hearing your voice the salamanders began to quiet down. "I have found a way out of the cave." You told them. "Gather your belongings and bring together everyone you know. Meet back here as soon as you can and I will lead you out."

The salamanders yelled and cheered and chanted. It made you feel a bit better, but you were still unhappy.

You made your way home to see Casey napping in your couch. "Casey wake up." You called out to her.

She woke up. "Yes I am awake" she said, sleepily.

"We need to talk." You said.

"Okay." She was fully awake now.

"In three days, aliens will be here called humans." She nodded and you sighed. "I'm supposed to give you to them as a peace offer according to typhus."

"Wait what?" Casey was shocked.

"It's awful." You told her. "I'm so sorry."

"No. It's okay!" Casey told you.

"How??" You looked at her.

"It's okay because Typhus said it was!"

"What?"

"I'll do anything that Typhus asks. And you should too!" Casey blubbed and jumped up.

"Let's go! We gotta get everyone outta here, right?"

"Yeah. Let's go." You smiled. Her words made you feel significantly better, but you still felt awful.

That night the hero led all of the Salamander people from the dark caves. They returned to the homes of their ancestors and happily began to clean. This was a great day in the history of their people.