Chapter 7 ~ bonding ~

"it's really quite interesting, I had no idea" Thorn said after listening to his mate talk about his work.

"I enjoy it" Korn admitted

"so that's why you wanted to look at my necklace" Thorn said.

"yes but I can understand if you don't want to take it off and I respect your feelings" Korn replied.

"I don't mind taking it off for you but I wouldn't leave it anywhere" Thorn said reaching up to unclasp it.

Korn couldn't help staring at his muscular arms as he reached up and he looked at his big hands which handled the piece so delicately and couldn't help blushing when he thought of those hands and what one of them had been doing less than an hour ago.

 "here" Thorn said handing the piece across to Korn.

Korn blushed again when he felt how warm it was and thought of how it had been cradled against Thorn's hot flesh.

"what the hell are you thinking about baby?" Thorn growled.

"nothing" Korn lied.

"ok so what next?" Thorn asked him while moving his chair closer to Korn's side so that he could watch.

"what can you tell me?" Korn asked.

"I was found in a basket when I was a few months old and I was clutching it in my hand, my dad said I would scream blue murder if anyone tried to take it off me then as soon as I got old enough I put it on and only took it off again a few minutes ago" Thorn shrugged.

"I feel honoured, thank you for trusting me with it Thorn now let's take a look at it" Korn said as he examined it closely.

"well I know it's black spinel, did alpha Kiet name you?" Korn asked him.

"yes" Thorn replied.

"that was very clever, you know that spinel comes from the latin word spina which means Thorn, did he ever tell you that?" Korn asked.

"no, I'll have to ask him about it later but it sounds about right for my dad" Thorn smiled.

"they called the gemstone 'thorn' because in it's natural form it is a very sharp crystal" Korn continued then picked up his loupe to examine the setting and look for a makers mark.

Thorn watched his mate with awe, he was so knowledgeable and smart and seeing him like this he stopped thinking about the negative and started wondering how he'd got so lucky.

"at first I wondered if the setting was a tin-bronze alloy but it's not, I believe it's silver but it's just really dirty ... are you not allergic to silver? a lot of wolves are" Korn asked him.

"no, I'm fine with it or at least I think I am, never been shot with it so I couldn't tell you" Thorn laughed.

"you shouldn't joke about such things" Korn replied.

"are you sure it's silver and not platinum?" Thorn suggested.

"they didn't start using platinum around this region until the early 20th century so I doubt it, it's not had a decent clean or polish in like ... forever, if you trusted me to clean it and restore it to its former glory you would see just what a beautiful piece it is" Korn added.

"I do trust you Korn" Thorn replied.

"great, ok so we already established that the stones are spinel but this pear shaped centre stone isn't, I'll need to look closer at that and I'm guessing it could be several centuries old, possibly from the Dvaravati period, that's anywhere from the 6th to the 11th century but I'd need to run some tests in the lab ...