Chapter 8- The First Victim

"Dobby!"

I blinked my eyes open to see Harry, glasses already pulled on, staring at the house elf on the foot of his bed.

"Harry Potter. You came. You came to Hogwarts," Dobby frowned. "Dobby told you, you must not come to Hogwarts! It is not safe here! You should've gone home when you missed the train."

"How'd you know we missed the train?" I spoke up, both Harry and Dobby turning to me in surprise.

Then Dobby's lip started to tremble, and he let out a loud, strangled sob. It took all my power not to shake my head in annoyance.

"You stopped the barrier from letting us through!" Harry said, a glare directed towards Dobby.

"Indeed sir, Dobby did. Dobby hid and watched for Harry and Melody Potter. Dobby had to iron his fingers afterwards," Dobby held up his bandaged hands and frowned. "But never does anyone get to Hogwarts another way."

"You nearly got all four of us expelled!" I spat. "You'd better get out of here before I can stand again Dobby," I paused for a minute. "And it's Lily."

"Dobby is used to death threats Miss. Dobby gets them many times a day back home."

Dobby lifted one corner of the pillowcase he wore, and loudly blew his nose on it. I turned away in disgust.

"Harry and Melody Potter must go home! Dobby thought his Bludgers would be-"

"Your Bludgers?!" I asked, noticing out of the corner of my eye the bright shade of red my hair, and presumably my eyes, had taken. "You tried to kill us, rather than let us just stay at this 'oh-so-dangerous school?!'"

"No, no, Melody Potter! Dobby would never try to kill you! Only injure you enough to be sent home! It is better than staying here."

"I don't suppose you're going to tell us why you were going to send us home half dead?" Harry muttered.

"Terrible things are to happen at Hogwarts this year," Dobby said quietly, wiping his face on his ratty old pillowcase. "Dobby cannot let Harry and Meldoy Potter stay here, when history is sure to repeat itself, when the Chamber of Secrets has been opened once again."

Dobby froze in his place, jumping off the foot of Harry's bed and grabbing the bottle of skelegro off the table and hitting himself over the head with it.

Once again? I asked Harry, trying to ignore Dobby.

I guess so. He's closer to you, grab the skelegro and I'll ask.

I did as Harry said, grabbing the bottle of skelegro away from Dobby, who then climbed back onto Harry's bed.

"Again? The Chambers been opened before?" Harry asked Dobby.

"Ask no more of poor Dobby," Dobby sobbed.

"But how are we in danger? We're half bloods! I'm even a Slytherin for Merlin's sake!"

"Ah, Melody Potter doesn't know the dangers," Dobby muttered, shaking his head, talking mostly to himself now. "They must go home, Harry and Melody Potter must go home."

"We are not going home Dobby! Two of our friends are muggleborn!" I said, nervously thinking of what could happen to Hermione or Emily.

"Ah so very noble the Potters are. Thinking of everyone but themselves. But they do not know, they must go home-" Dobby was cut off when we heard noises coming from just outside the hospital wing doors.

Without saying a word, Dobby sent us a sorry smile, snapped his fingers, and with a loud crack, was gone.

Harry and I lay back quickly, Harry left his glasses on, and faced away from the doors, and I kept my eyes towards him and the doors.