Chapter 19- The Wand

Sorry it's late... I might have forgotten.

I was once again tossed into the dark, damp tunnels, hearing the familiar crunch of small animal bones under my feet. This was the first time I'd been here and felt nervous. I knew that this time around, I could be in great danger. The basilisk that I'd admired so freely could kill me with a simply glance. I reached in my pocket to grab the mirror I'd taken from Lockhart's office, using it to check around corners and in branching off tunnels. Being petrified wasn't really my fear at the moment.

Harry, Ron and Sydney slid out moment after me. Ron, after I'd instructed him to, had grabbed a mirror from Lockhart's office as well. With Ron and I in charge of checking around corners, and Harry and Sydney responsible for lighting the way, we moved on. I continued on in the direction I'd travelled before, heading to the main part of the Chamber.

I hoped we weren't too late. I hadn't thought that Riddle would act this quickly. If something happened to Ginny, Ron would never forgive me. In fact, I don't think I'd want him to, nor would I ever be able to forgive myself.

"We must be miles under the school," Harry mused, glancing around carefully.

"Under the Black Lake, I think," I said, running my fingertips over the damp stone walls.

The crunch of bones under our feet made it near impossible for anyone to listen for movement from the basilisk. The only way we'd be able to know if the basilisk was coming would be if we saw it. Hopefully it'd be through the mirror.

It was sudden that Sydney snapped a hand over her eyes. "Ahead."

I couldn't suppress a chuckle. I'd forgotten about the basilisk shedding. It had only shed a few days ago, I knew from seeing it. John and I had come down on multiple occasions to check on Ginny.

"The basilisk shed  few days ago," I said. Everyone removed their hands from over their eyes and I smiled sheepishly. "My apologies."

We had only taken a few steps past the shedding when movement in a branching tunnel caught all of our attention in seconds. All of us shut our eyes and whipped out our wands defensively. That's where everything went wrong. 

Ron's broken wand, at the sudden movement, created a small blast. It was enough to cause pieces of rock to come tumbling down, creating a barrier in the tunnel. Harry and I both jumped forward to avoid the falling chunks of stone.

"Everyone alright?" I called, glancing at the large wall Ron's wand had created between us.

"Yeah!" I vaguely heard Sydney cough. "We're stuck though!"

"Don't try and use magic, we may cause the whole ceiling to collapse!" I said, glancing at the spiderweb fractures spreading through the ceiling.

"These rocks'll take ages to move without magic," Ron said.

"Wait here. Clear some debris. We'll move on," Harry said, glancing to where I stood.

"Wait an hour, Ron, and if we're not back, get McGonagall," I said, gulping.

Silence fell after that. I glanced at my watch quickly. Ginny had been down here for hours now. If Tom Riddle hadn't hurt her yet, he was going to soon. Knowing her chances of survival were only getting slimmer, I shot a pointed look at Harry.

"We'll see you in a bit," Harry said.

We set off, the sound of shifting rock growing more and more distant, before we were tossed into complete silence. With the end of the tunnel growing nearer, my chest grew tighter. I knew as we got closer, our chances of running into the King of Serpents only grew.