Chapter 27: The Perfect Prison

Sandro sat in the corner of the small, windowless room, his back pressed against the cold concrete wall. His mind, once sharp and calculating, now felt dulled by the monotony of captivity. It had been days—maybe even weeks—since he'd been taken, though he couldn't be sure. Time had lost all meaning in the relentless silence of his cell.

The room was his world now: four walls, a single dim light that never flickered off, a steel door with no handle on the inside. No windows. No sound except for his own breathing. It was a prison designed to break a person slowly, methodically, until escape became not only impossible but unimaginable.

He hadn't seen his captors since they last left him food and water. They came only at irregular intervals, just enough to keep him alive. There were no clocks, no way of tracking how long he had been there. He had tried counting the seconds, keeping track of the minutes, but even that had slipped away from him as his strength faded.

The first few days had been filled with defiance. He had yelled, banged on the walls, demanded answers. He had tried to think of every possible escape route, tried to imagine how his political allies or his staff would find him. But now, all of that seemed distant, a fading hope that had been replaced with a growing sense of dread.

This place wasn't just a cell. It was a perfect prison, designed to hold him indefinitely. His captors had thought of everything.

Sandro's cell was small, barely large enough for him to stretch out completely if he lay down. The walls were concrete, thick and impenetrable. The air was stale, with only a faint ventilation system keeping it from becoming unbearable. There was no furniture, just a single thin mattress on the floor that provided little comfort.

The door was heavy steel, with no visible locks or hinges from his side. It only opened from the outside, and it only opened when his captors deemed it necessary. There was no way to break it down, no way to pry it open, not even a gap large enough to slip a finger through.

On the ceiling, a small security camera was mounted in one corner, its lens always pointed in his direction. He was constantly being watched, though the camera made no sound. It didn't move or shift, but he knew that whoever was on the other side saw his every movement. Every desperate attempt at escape.

He had scoured every inch of the room for weaknesses: small cracks in the walls, areas where the concrete might be thinner, but there was nothing. Whoever had built this place had been meticulous. They had accounted for everything, ensuring that there was no possibility of escape.

And that was what scared him most—the absolute control they had over him.

The physical discomfort of the cell was one thing, but the psychological toll was far worse. Sandro had always prided himself on being in control, on being the one who manipulated situations to his advantage. Now, he was completely at the mercy of people he couldn't even see.

The silence was suffocating. There was no sound from outside the cell—no voices, no footsteps, no indication that there was even anyone else nearby. Just the faint hum of the ventilation system and the echo of his own breathing. The isolation was driving him mad, bit by bit.

He had tried to distract himself, to keep his mind sharp. At first, he had run through all the possible people who could be behind this—political rivals, business enemies, even personal vendettas. But none of the scenarios made sense. If they wanted to make a statement, they would have demanded a ransom, or released a video. They would have made it public.

But this? This was different. This wasn't about money or political gain. This was about control.

And then, in the quiet moments when his mind had nothing else to latch onto, he thought of Bella.

At first, he had dismissed the idea. Bella? The quiet, unassuming woman who had always been on the periphery of his life? The one who had supported him, funded his projects, never asking for anything in return? It seemed absurd.

But the more he thought about it, the more the pieces began to fall into place. Bella had always been there, silently helping, silently watching. He had underestimated her feelings, brushed them aside without a second thought. He had used her, played with her emotions when it suited him.

And now, it was possible that Bella had finally found a way to take back control. She had the means. She had the influence. Could she have been the one to orchestrate all of this?

Sandro's mind spiraled as he tried to make sense of it. If it was Bella, what did she want? Was this revenge for how he had treated her? Did she think this would make him love her, or was it something darker? The uncertainty gnawed at him, deepening his sense of helplessness.

Every few days—or what felt like days—his captors would return. They would bring him just enough food to keep him alive, just enough water to stave off dehydration. There were no conversations, no interactions beyond the brief moment when they opened the door. They never said a word, never gave him a chance to plead or reason with them.

At first, Sandro had tried to talk to them, tried to negotiate his way out. He had offered them money, influence, anything they wanted. But they had remained silent, their faces hidden behind masks, their movements robotic. It became clear to him that they weren't interested in anything he had to offer.

Whoever had hired them—if it was Bella or someone else—had made sure that Sandro had no leverage.

As the days dragged on, his attempts to resist grew weaker. His body was weakening from the lack of proper food and water, his muscles aching from disuse. The silence and isolation wore down his mind, leaving him in a constant state of paranoia. He didn't know when—or if—he would ever be let out.

The fear wasn't just about being trapped in the cell. It was about the unknown. Sandro had no idea what his captors wanted from him, or how long they intended to keep him there. There were no demands, no ultimatums, no explanations. Just the suffocating silence and the knowledge that he had no control over his fate.

Each time the door opened, a part of him hoped that it was over—that they had come to release him, or at least explain what was happening. But each time, they left him in the same prison, with no answers.

As the days continued to pass, Sandro began to realize that this wasn't just about physical captivity. His captors weren't just holding him in a cell—they were breaking him, bit by bit. The isolation, the lack of control, the uncertainty—it was all designed to wear him down, to strip away the power he had once wielded so easily.

And as much as he tried to resist, Sandro knew that he was losing.