Chapter 28

A month later, Marco is sitting at his desk, his attention focused on the reports and papers in front of him. The room is quiet, except for the scratching of his pen on paper. He seems deep in thought.

Vivian is typing on a computer.

Vivian sighs as soon Jessica walks over

“Hey girl, I heard everything that is happening to you, I'm sorry,” Jessica says.

“Oh, thanks…” Vivian says.

Jessica smiles.

“Do you need anything?” Jessica says.

Vivian glances up from her work, her expression weary. She appreciates Jessica's concern but just shakes her head gently.

“No, I'm alright. Just trying to keep things together,” Vivian says.

“You sure?” Jessica says.

Vivian offers a soft smile, trying to sound reassuring.

“I appreciate your concern, Jess. Really. But I'll manage,” Vivian says.

“Alright, you can always talk to me if you need anything,” Jessica says.

Vivian nods, genuinely grateful for the offer.

“I know. Thank you, Jess. I'll keep that in mind,” Vivian says.

“Here's a snack to make you feel better,” Jessica says.

Vivian glances at the snack Jessica offers, a little surprised. She reaches out and takes it.

“Oh... Thank you. That's sweet of you,” Vivian says.

“Anything for a friend,” Jessica says.

Vivian smiles warmly, genuinely touched by Jessica's kindness.

“You're a good friend, Jess. Really,” Vivian says.

“Oh. Who do we have here?” Marta saunters over, a confident stride in her step. She glances between Vivian and Jessica, a slight smirk on her face.

“Welcome back, Vivian…” Marta says.

Vivian gives a polite smile, though her eyes darken slightly at the sight of Marta. She doesn't respond immediately, her hand clenching around the snack that Jessica had given her.

“Hey,” Vivian says.

Marta grins, leaning against the desk. Her tone is almost mocking, a hint of feigned sympathy in her voice.

“Heard about your... situation. Must be tough,” Marta says.

“It is…” Vivian says.

Marta's smirk widens, her eyes glinting cruelly. She pretends to sympathize, her voice dripping with false concern.

“Aw, poor you. Life just keeps kicking you while you're down, doesn't it?” Marta says.

Marta then snatches the snack from Vivian. Vivian's eyes widened in surprise at Marta's sudden action. She hadn't expected her to simply take the snack, and her hand instinctively rises to try and grab it back.

“Hey! Give that back!” Vivian says.

Marta gives Jessica the snack back.

“Why do you take stuff that is not yours?” Marta says.

Jessica looks stunned, her eyes darting between Vivian and Marta.

“It's just a snack, Marta. Vivian had it given to her. It's hers,” Jessica says.